The long-suffering father of Trevor Deely has told how he refuses to abandon his dream that his missing son will one day walk back through the front door of his family home.
Long-suffering father of Trevor Deely refuses to abandon dream that missing son will walk through front door
Heartbroken parents Michael and Ann Deely have endured yet another agonising year in which not one single lead has emerged into their youngest son’s baffling disappearance.
But speaking on the eve of the 18th anniversary of the last sighting of the then-22-year-old, resolute Michael said he’s still clinging on to a faint glimmer of hope that his son will be found alive.
And in an emotional appeal for information, he said: “My family and I have suffered for far too long. Time has stood still for us since Trevor disappeared.
“We’re desperate for information and to be honest, I really don’t know where we go from here.
“But I know that someone out there must know something, so I ask that person to please give us some hope this Christmas by contacting the gardai and giving us the lead we need to find Trevor.”
The missing bank official - who would have turned 40 in August this year - was last seen on December 8, 2000, as he made his way home from his office Christmas party to his apartment in Ballsbridge, Dublin.
The last-known images of him, which were captured on CCTV, show him walking across Baggot Street Bridge towards Haddington Road at 4.14am.
A man dressed in black, who gardai believe also spoke to the then-22-year-old outside his place of work just minutes before, can be seen following him in the direction of Haddington Road.
A cold case review was begun by gardai in December 2015, which included swathes of evidence being gathered and witnesses re-interviewed.
A fresh appeal was then issued in April last year, with gardai releasing digitally-enhanced VHS footage taken on the night of Trevor’s disappearance.
In August last year a thorough garda-led dig of a 12-acre site in west Dublin revealed a wasteland used by criminals as seatch teams discovered a gun and a sizeable drugs stash.
The site gardai are believed to be searching as part of the Trevor Deely investigation (Picture: Emma McMenamy)
However, the family’s dream of finally getting a breakthrough was agonisingly dashed when gardai confirmed there was no evidence that Trevor was buried there.
And despite a €100,000 Crimestopper reward still available for credible information on Trevor, there have been no new leads since.
Michael, who’s a devout Catholic, said the pain of not knowing where his son is will be all the more unbearable today when he leads his family - including his three other adult children - in a prayer service for Trevor near their home in Naas, Co Kildare.
The frustrated father-of-four added: “Nothing has changed at all this year. Things are as hard as they ever were, and we’ve had no new information at all. Trevor is never out of my mind. There may be the odd distraction, for example if I’m watching Galway playing hurling, but the pain never ever goes away.
“But it’s still an open case, and I’m as determined as ever to keep going, to keep trying to find him. I will never stop. We have never been told that Trevor is not alive, and so until I’m told otherwise, I will believe he is alive.
“It’s my dearest dream to see him come home to me again, to walk through the door of our home. I will never give up hope.”
Read more news of Dublin on our site.