Garda audit boss voices breath-test concerns to Policing Authority

A third senior civilian executive at the top of the Garda has moved to distance himself from Garda Headquarters’ position on recent scandals.

Niall Kelly, head of the Garda’s audit unit, has contacted the Policing Authority to clarify a number of matters around the inflated breath-test figures.

He has distanced himself from the work done within the Garda that concluded only one million alcohol breath tests were performed during a period in which official records claimed two million tests had been conducted.

Mr Kelly has pointed out that neither he nor his staff were involved in the review process. Because of that, and also because the formal rigours of an audit process were not followed, he has insisted the process cannot be called an audit.

Senior Garda management have referred to the process as an audit.

At a press conference when the scandal broke in March, Deputy Garda Commissioner John Twomey referred to it as an audit.

Mr Kelly putting distance between himself and the review undertaken to determine the scale of the breath-testing debacle is further evidence of the divide now in Garda Headquarters.

Financial irregularities

John Barrett, the Garda’s civilian human resources executive, has contradicted Garda Commissioner Nóirín O’Sullivan’s account of a meeting they had in July, 2015, about financial irregularities at the Garda College, Templemore.

Ms O’Sullivan told the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) meeting last week the meeting was brief. 

However, moments later Mr Barrett said the meeting lasted over two hours. He has produced documents made after the meeting in which he says he warned those present the issues at the college were gravely serious.

And he claims he was met with resistance on the day of that meeting and that his official responsibilities had been scaled back since then.

The Garda’s civilian head of analysis, Gurchand Singh, has also distanced himself from a report on errors with the classification and recording of homicides.

He has contacted the Policing Authority to inform it that a report lodged with it a fortnight ago outlining homicide misclassifications was neither compiled by him nor seen by him before it was submitted to the authority.

That report was submitted the night before the authority met senior Garda personnel in public session.

Taoiseach Enda Kenny and Tánaiste and Minister for Justice Frances Fitzgerald yesterday expressed confidence in Ms O’Sullivan.

However, they were concerned by the latest developments – around Mr Barrett’s disclosures in documents to the PAC.

Fianna Fáil leader Micheál Martin was forced to intervene last night to block a motion of no confidence in the Minister for Justice Frances Fitzgerald.

At a meeting of his parliamentary party Mr Martin insisted such a move would result in a general election.

Informed sources have confirmed to The Irish Times Mr Kelly has contacted the Policing Authority to voice his concerns over what he believed was the impression created that the breath-testing data review was a formal audit.

The authority did not comment when contacted yesterday. Efforts to contact Mr Kelly were not successful.

At the Policing Authority public sessions late last month chairwoman Josephine Feehily pointed out that the review of breath tests carried out was not an audit. Garda Commissioner Nóirín O’Sullivan replied that “audit is a word used in An Garda Síochána to cover a lot of things”.

She added the process was not deliberately described as an audit by senior personnel to mislead on the subject.

In response to a request for comment, Garda Headquarters last night said: “An Garda Síochána do not comment on details of correspondence with the Police Authority.

Following the initial review of issues relating to breath tests, a more detailed examination is being conducted by Assistant Commissioner O’Sullivan. The Police Authority is also to conduct its own examination.”

The issue with breath-testing data emerged in late March when the Garda revealed it had checked its records against those of the Medical Bureau of Road Safety.

The bureau, which maintains the alcohol breath test kit for the Garda, found one million breath tests had been recorded between 2012 and 2016.

The Garda is yet to find the reasons why the testing rates were inflated so much for years; in some regions by as much as 500 per cent.

The Irish Times
Garda breath-test policingauthority
If you notice an error, highlight the text you want and press Ctrl + Enter to report it to the editor
2 views in december
I recommend
No recommendations yet


Post your comment to communicate and discuss this article.

Two people have been arrested following a stabbing incident in Dublin city centre. The incident happened on Essex Quay at around 4.40pm. A man aged in his late 20s was treated at the scene and taken to St James's Hospital with non-life threatening injuries following the incident. A man and woman, both aged in their 20s, were arrested at the scene and are being detained at Pearse Street Garda Station. Gardaí sealed off part of the south quays for several ho...
A kitchen went up in flames yesterday after some Christmas decorations were left on top of a microvwave. The Dublin Fire Brigade had to be called to quell the flames after tinsel caught fire having been left over a mircowave. Firefighters have warned others to be more careful with their decorating saying the tinsel was placed over the microwave's vent causing it to go up once the machine was turned on. They said: "Yesterday, Firefighters attended a kitchen...
A Dublin mother is extremely concerned for the welfare of her 15-year-old son after he never came home from the shop yesterday. Aleksejs Snitko went to the Tesco shop in Balbriggan yesterday, Saturday December 9 at around 4.30pm. His mother Iveta told Dublin Live that when her son left the home, he was wearing light grey basketball shoes, tight sport trousers and a warm navy jacket with a hoodie. He was also carrying a black and blue Puma school bag. The t...
A man and woman were arrested following a stabbing incident that left Dublin city centre on lockdown on Sunday evening. The pair were taken to Pearse st station after another man in his early 20s was hospitalised with 'non-fatal injuries'. It is believed a fight spilled out onto the road with one witness telling Dublin Live that she thought the man was going to be "throw him into the river". She said: "They stopped the traffic while they were fighting that...
The final report into the marine tragedy in which Doolin-based volunteer coastguard crew member Caitríona Lucas died in 2016 is critical of safety aspects of the operation. It concluded that the Delta Rigid Inflatable Boat that capsized was launched in conditions that were outside the operational limits of the vessel and that there were deficiencies with its communications and navigational equipment. Ms Lucas, a 41-year-old mother-of-two living in Liscanno...
A software development company is to create 85 jobs in Galway over the next 12 months. MathWorks says the expansion will lead to the recruitment of candidates with sales, service, marketing or administrative skills. It hopes to hire 20 people immediately with the remaining 65 roles being filled in 2019. The company opened an office in Galway two years ago. It provides sales and services support throughout Europe, the Middle East and Asia, with staff operat...
A woman was allegedly sexually assaulted by a taxi driver in North Dublin on Saturday night. The woman, believed to be in her 30s, had been picked up by a registered taxi from the Main Street in Malahide after socialising in the area and was heading in the Swords direction. It is believed after the taxi driver dropped off the other people in the car, the alleged victim was left alone with the driver for a stretch of road. The taxi driver then allegedly sex...
A man was yesterday convicted of assaulting and injuring his neighbour by “continuously punching and head-butting him”. Peter Lambe, 50, was found guilty of assaulting 62-year-old Gerard Furlong after he pinned the grandad to the ground and left him bloodied and bruised. The victim, who said he is still in constant fear, suffered serious facial injuries during the frenzied attack on March 4, 2016, which came after ongoing disputes. Mr Furlong described how...
The long-suffering father of Trevor Deely has told how he refuses to abandon his dream that his missing son will one day walk back through the front door of his family home. Heartbroken parents Michael and Ann Deely have endured yet another agonising year in which not one single lead has emerged into their youngest son’s baffling disappearance. But speaking on the eve of the 18th anniversary of the last sighting of the then-22-year-old, resolute Michael sa...