Dublin City Council has announced plans to house homeless families in modular homes -originally intended as a quick-fix for homeless families living in hotels - on a permanent basis.
The rapid-build units, of which just 22 have been built so far, were supposed to provide families suitable accommodation until the council found permanent residences for them.
Last May, the council offered the first units to families on a six-month lease, after which they believed they would be able to move new families in.
But by the end of 2017, Dublin City Council had built just 40 new houses in the capital - 22 of which were modular homes.
And a report in The Irish Times says that the homes in Ballymun are set to be offered to families living there as permanent accommodation.
Dublin City Council's head of housing Brendan Kenny told the same source: "We'll be recommending that all rapid allocations going forward would be permanent."
This will mean families due to move into 130 more rapid-build houses currently under construction in Finglas, Darndale, Cherry Orchard, and Drimnagh will also be offered the homes permanently.
It is also reported that these will not be completed by July 1, the deadline set by Minister for Housing Simon Coveney to ensure families living in emergency accommodation are no longer doing so.
Latest figures show that around 800 families are currently living in hotels, while around 23,000 people still on Dublin City Council's housing waiting list.