Man jailed over weed growhouse

A vulnerable Lithuanian man who was “somewhat coerced” to come to Ireland and work in a cannabis grow house tending to over €100,000 worth of plants has been jailed for one year.

Andrius Gnizinskas (32) pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to cultivating cannabis plants at St Patrick's Road, Drumcondra on January 4, 2017.

He has no previous convictions.

Judge Karen O'Connor noted Gnizinskas had been in the UK as a result of human trafficking and was vulnerable and "somewhat coerced" into coming to this country. She noted his plea had saved the state significant resources and accepted his involvement was at the "very low end".

She said Gnizinskas had no role in setting up the grow house and did not gain materially. Judge O'Connor imposed three years imprisonment and suspended the final two years.

Garda Niall Smith told Lorcan Staines BL, prosecuting, that following the discovery of a cannabis grow-house in Dundalk gardai recovered documents relating to the St Patrick's Road property.

Gnizinskas was the sole person present when gardai searched the property and found 180 mature cannabis plants growing. The plants were close to harvest and had a value of €144,000.

Gda Smith said the entire property, apart from the sitting room, had been adapted to the operation.

Gardai found sophisticated equipment including heat lamps, water purifying systems and a tin foil type material designed to increase light to the plants. The electrical system had also been overridden.

Gnizinskas told gardai he had been living on the streets in the UK when he met a man who told him he could make money in Ireland. He said he was bought clothes and a bus ticket. He was picked up on his arrival in Dublin and brought to the house.

The house had been set up before he arrived and Gnizinskas was instructed what to do. He would be contacted each day for an update and people would call to the house during the week.

He said he received money to live on but had no option to go home and felt like an "animal" in the house. He said when he was sick he was accompanied to the doctor and had to pay for it himself.

Gnizinskas told gardai the first batch of plants had died and this crop was the second batch which had been planted. He said he knew it was illegal but had to survive himself.

The garda agreed with defence counsel, Andrew King BL, that Gnizinskas's only facility was a mattress on the floor in the sitting room and he was provided with the capacity to purchase food. He agreed Gnizinskas was on "a very short leash" and was a vulnerable person.

Mr King submitted that his client had been in very lowest position in this operation - “a gardener and a bad one at that.” He said Gnizinskas had been a very vulnerable young man who had been easily targeted.

He handed in a testimonial on his client's behalf and submitted Gnizinskas had co-operated with the investigation.

plants cannabisgrow growhouse Dublin
If you notice an error, highlight the text you want and press Ctrl + Enter to report it to the editor
11 views in december
I recommend
No recommendations yet


Post your comment to communicate and discuss this article.

Two people have been arrested following a stabbing incident in Dublin city centre. The incident happened on Essex Quay at around 4.40pm. A man aged in his late 20s was treated at the scene and taken to St James's Hospital with non-life threatening injuries following the incident. A man and woman, both aged in their 20s, were arrested at the scene and are being detained at Pearse Street Garda Station. Gardaí sealed off part of the south quays for several ho...
A kitchen went up in flames yesterday after some Christmas decorations were left on top of a microvwave. The Dublin Fire Brigade had to be called to quell the flames after tinsel caught fire having been left over a mircowave. Firefighters have warned others to be more careful with their decorating saying the tinsel was placed over the microwave's vent causing it to go up once the machine was turned on. They said: "Yesterday, Firefighters attended a kitchen...
A Dublin mother is extremely concerned for the welfare of her 15-year-old son after he never came home from the shop yesterday. Aleksejs Snitko went to the Tesco shop in Balbriggan yesterday, Saturday December 9 at around 4.30pm. His mother Iveta told Dublin Live that when her son left the home, he was wearing light grey basketball shoes, tight sport trousers and a warm navy jacket with a hoodie. He was also carrying a black and blue Puma school bag. The t...
A man and woman were arrested following a stabbing incident that left Dublin city centre on lockdown on Sunday evening. The pair were taken to Pearse st station after another man in his early 20s was hospitalised with 'non-fatal injuries'. It is believed a fight spilled out onto the road with one witness telling Dublin Live that she thought the man was going to be "throw him into the river". She said: "They stopped the traffic while they were fighting that...
The final report into the marine tragedy in which Doolin-based volunteer coastguard crew member Caitríona Lucas died in 2016 is critical of safety aspects of the operation. It concluded that the Delta Rigid Inflatable Boat that capsized was launched in conditions that were outside the operational limits of the vessel and that there were deficiencies with its communications and navigational equipment. Ms Lucas, a 41-year-old mother-of-two living in Liscanno...
A software development company is to create 85 jobs in Galway over the next 12 months. MathWorks says the expansion will lead to the recruitment of candidates with sales, service, marketing or administrative skills. It hopes to hire 20 people immediately with the remaining 65 roles being filled in 2019. The company opened an office in Galway two years ago. It provides sales and services support throughout Europe, the Middle East and Asia, with staff operat...
A woman was allegedly sexually assaulted by a taxi driver in North Dublin on Saturday night. The woman, believed to be in her 30s, had been picked up by a registered taxi from the Main Street in Malahide after socialising in the area and was heading in the Swords direction. It is believed after the taxi driver dropped off the other people in the car, the alleged victim was left alone with the driver for a stretch of road. The taxi driver then allegedly sex...
A man was yesterday convicted of assaulting and injuring his neighbour by “continuously punching and head-butting him”. Peter Lambe, 50, was found guilty of assaulting 62-year-old Gerard Furlong after he pinned the grandad to the ground and left him bloodied and bruised. The victim, who said he is still in constant fear, suffered serious facial injuries during the frenzied attack on March 4, 2016, which came after ongoing disputes. Mr Furlong described how...
The long-suffering father of Trevor Deely has told how he refuses to abandon his dream that his missing son will one day walk back through the front door of his family home. Heartbroken parents Michael and Ann Deely have endured yet another agonising year in which not one single lead has emerged into their youngest son’s baffling disappearance. But speaking on the eve of the 18th anniversary of the last sighting of the then-22-year-old, resolute Michael sa...