A 15-year-old boy was caught with 200 tablets and two phones in his groin area

A 15-YEAR-OLD boy, who tried to smuggle two mobile phones and almost 200 sedative tablets to a cousin serving a sentence in Mountjoy Prison, will be sentenced in July.

He pleaded guilty to conveying drugs and contraband into the prison on April 21 last year. Judge John O’Connor adjourned sentencing at the Dublin Children’s Court for a probation report to be completed.

The court has heard that Garda Paul Griffin responded to a call from the jail and went to the search area where prison officers had detained the now 16-year-old boy.

Judge John O’Connor heard that the boy had gone on a visit to the prison with a woman who was in a relationship with his cousin.

When questioned if he had anything in his possession he removed a cling film wrapped package from his groin area. The package contained two mobile phones, 97 Alprazolam and 99 Diazepam tablets, the court was told.

Gda Griffin agreed that the teenager had been the company of a woman who was the girlfriend of his cousin.

Judge O’Connor noted the teen’s personal circumstances but said it was a serious case involving two phones and a significant amount of tablets.

The boy, who was accompanied to court by his mother, was remanded on continuing bail.

The judge has asked the prosecuting garda for information from the Prison Service in relation to the effects of this type of crime.

The teenager, who did not address the court, is also awaiting trial over an alleged robbery.

Defence counsel Damian McKeone told the court the boy has Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder and it was difficult to find a suitable mainstream school for him, however, he on an educational course.

The court heard he had developed a problem with tablets and smokes cannabis.

The judge remarked that these were not mitigating factors and in some cases they can be aggravating factors.

Read other news on the city site of Dublin.

sundayworld
DublinChildren’sCourt teenagercrime
If you notice an error, highlight the text you want and press Ctrl + Enter to report it to the editor
I recommend
No recommendations yet

Comments

Comments are designed to communicate and discuss the features of an enterprise or event, as well as to find out the interesting questions on it.

Society
TWO national school teachers and an accountant have been spared jail for their part in a violent brawl in a well-known Dublin pub. Teachers Michael Davitt and Seamus O Cearra, as well as accountant Conor Shannon all walked free from court today after admitting violent disorder charges in the 10-man melee. A fourth accused, warehouse manager and soccer team captain Stephen Cantwell also avoided a prison sentence while a fifth, electrician David McSweeney wa...
Incidents
Two people have been hospitalised with serious injuries and a man arrested on suspicion of drink-driving following a collision in Co Wexford. The two-car crash happened at The Leap in Clonroche at around 8.30pm yesterday evening. A man and woman, both in their 50s, were taken by ambulance to Wexford General Hospital. The driver of the second car, a man in his 50s, was arrested at the scene on suspicion of drink-driving. He has since been released from cust...
Society
Long-standing plans to deliver hundreds of new homes on the site of the former Player Wills cigarette factory on Dublin's South Circular Road have come up against yet another obstacle. Documents lodged in the High Court showed the site's Nama-appointed receivers, Paul McCann and Stephen Tennant of Grant Thornton, are locked in legal proceedings in an effort to remove a company operating a salvage business from the site. The case relating to the tenancy rig...
Society
Health Minister Simon Harris has been told his decision on whether to grant access to a revolutionary new drug for children with a rare degenerative condition is one of life or death. Families, friends, supporters and sufferers of spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) gathered outside the Dail yesterday to call for access to the drug Spinraza. The only drug ever manufactured to treat SMA, a degenerative neuromuscular disorder, it is licensed, available and changin...
Society
Storm damage at the ploughing championships has forced organisers to cancel the second day of the event. More than 100,000 people had been scheduled to attend Ireland's largest annual outdoor event outside Tullamore, Co Offaly. However, two delayed openings were not enough to save the National Ploughing Association (NPA) event, after tents were badly damaged by the gusting winds. NPA assistant managing director Anna Marie McHugh said the organisers will no...
Society
A dream holiday to Ireland turned to tragedy for a tourist who died after her caravan was blown into the sea as Storm Ali battered the country. The woman, named locally as Elvira Ferraii from Switzerland, had arrived in the Clifden area of Galway the day before the tragic incident. She rented a caravan and was staying at the Clifden Eco Beach camping and caravan site in the Claddaghduff area, along the Atlantic coastline. At around 7.45am yesterday the car...
Society
Teachers Michael Davitt and Seamus O Cearra and accountant Conor Shannon all walked free from court yesterday after admitting violent disorder charges over the 10-man melee. A fourth accused, warehouse manager Stephen Cantwell, also avoided a prison term while a fifth, electrician David McSweeney, was jailed for six months. Passing sentence, Judge Brian O'Shea said the teachers were "ambassadors for their schools" whenever they went out and they had "let t...
Society
ESB Networks says 39,000 homes, farms and businesses are still without power this morning after StormAli crossed the country yesterday. Repair crews workedthrough the night, but 1,600 individual faults remain on the network. It says it hopes to restore power to everyone affected today. ESB Networks Operations Manager Derek Hynes said most repairs are in the Cavan/Longford, Monaghan and Mayo areas. He saidcrews need to get to 1,600 locations today andwarned...
Society
Minister for Children and Youth Affairs Katherine Zappone has said she hopes to bring a memo to Government "in the coming weeks"regarding the next steps to be taken at the site of the former Mother-and-Baby-Home in Tuam, CoGalway. Following a public consultation process earlier this year, a total of five different options are under consideration. These range from a full excavation of the burial ground, where "significant quantities of human remains"have be...