Couple who defamed wedding photographer online ordered to pay €1.5m in damages

A couple who claimed that their wedding photographer was holding their wedding photos 'hostage' and spread falsehoods about her business online, have been ordered to pay over €1.5M in a defamation lawsuit.

Photographer Andrea Polito, from Dallas, Texas, was awarded $1.8M USD (€1.5M) in thelawsuit which determined that one of the couples who hired her to capture their wedding photos had "pursued an extensive social media campaign" against her that a jury found to be "false and malicious" in nature.

The case was settled in a court after a Dallas County jury found that couple Neely and Andrew Moldovan wrongfully attacked Andrea Polito and her company, Andrea Polito Photography, Inc., according to her lawyer David Wishnew.

"This was a targeted campaign," Wishnew said. "It was online bullying."

According to her lawyer, the couple, who wed in October 2014, claimed several falsehoods on social media, and undertook a campaign to destroy Polito's business.

In a 2014 TV interview, the Moldovans said Polito was “holding their pictures hostage" and in comments that subsequently went viral online the couplealso claimed thatPolito "cheated" and "scammed" them.

The comments, according to the lawsuit, appeared on Neely Moldovan's beauty and lifestyle blog.

Wishnew argued that an attempt to "boost traffic" to Ms. Moldovan's blog was a further reason the couple spread false information.

The couple are reported to have complained online about "unreasonable fees" associated with the delivery of their wedding photos, and objected to the contract's stipulation for selecting a $125 photo album cover before they received their wedding photos.

According to the case Ms Moldovan said in one Facebook conversation that she was "pretty sure [Polito's] business is done."

After deliberating for two hours the jury believed they saw evidence that "affirmed that Ms. Polito followed the terms of the contract signed by the couple and even sought to further explain the contract and satisfy their demands," according to PRNewswire.

The Moldovans were found liable for disparagement, defamation, and civil conspiracy and must now pay Polito $1.08 million in damages.

"Ms. Polito hopes this verdict will reinforce her attempts to repair her reputation, while also sending a message that freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences," said Ms. Polito's lawyer.

"Texas has one of the strongest laws in the nation to protect individuals who air legitimate grievances and opinions. But those protections don't extend to a concerted campaign designed to defame and destroy someone's hard-earned business," he said.

Read more news on our site.
If you notice an error, highlight the text you want and press Ctrl + Enter to report it to the editor
8 views in december
I recommend
No recommendations yet


Post your comment to communicate and discuss this article.

Anotorious Estonian hitman who travelled to Ireland to carry out a murder for the Kinahan Gang has been caged for six years. Imre Arakas, who was under garda surveillance, flew into Ireland on a murder mission to take out James “Mago” Gately. The Special Criminal Court was told that Arakas bought a wig in Dublin city and used an encrypted Blackberry phone to receive information about the movements and location of Mr Gately in Northern Ireland. The 60-year-...
Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has said he was "very satisfied" with the EU's position on the Irish backstop at last night's summit meeting. He said the European Union stands by the Withdrawal Agreement that was negotiated. EU leaders rejected British Prime Minister Theresa May's call for legally binding assurances on the Irish backstop and ruled out any changes to the Withdrawal Agreement. Speaking to reporters on day two of the summit in Brussels, Mr Varadkar sa...
Gardai are appealing for witnesses after a woman was allegedly sexually assaulted in a car in Dublin. The incident happened around Ballsbridge in the early hours of Sunday morning with investigators on the hunt for a man in his '20s or 30s' with short dark hair, a short beard, and glasses. A source told Dublin Live that one theory being explored is that the victim may have been in a taxi at the time. The source explained: "This woman was enjoying a night o...
Gardai have been gathering CCTV evidence at a hotel where an alleged rape involving a well-known sports star took place. Forensic experts and detectives visited the property in South Co Dublin on Tuesday night to hunt for clues. Initially it was believed the incident took place at a south inner-city hotel but after further inquiries it was determined it happened closer to the Dundrum area. A source said: “Detectives and scenes of crime gardai arrived at th...
The plans for the SDCC and Cluid housing social apartments were approved at Monday's full meeting of the council. On Monday, 81 social housing apartments for the elderly on a site beside Tallaght Stadium were approved by South Dublin County Council (SDCC) - writes This was despite a campaign calling on the council to save the land which houses a council depot at Watergate Sean Walsh Park. Local groups such as Tallaght Community Council and Ta...
Two people have been arrested following a stabbing incident in Dublin city centre. The incident happened on Essex Quay at around 4.40pm. A man aged in his late 20s was treated at the scene and taken to St James's Hospital with non-life threatening injuries following the incident. A man and woman, both aged in their 20s, were arrested at the scene and are being detained at Pearse Street Garda Station. Gardaí sealed off part of the south quays for several ho...
A kitchen went up in flames yesterday after some Christmas decorations were left on top of a microvwave. The Dublin Fire Brigade had to be called to quell the flames after tinsel caught fire having been left over a mircowave. Firefighters have warned others to be more careful with their decorating saying the tinsel was placed over the microwave's vent causing it to go up once the machine was turned on. They said: "Yesterday, Firefighters attended a kitchen...
A Dublin mother is extremely concerned for the welfare of her 15-year-old son after he never came home from the shop yesterday. Aleksejs Snitko went to the Tesco shop in Balbriggan yesterday, Saturday December 9 at around 4.30pm. His mother Iveta told Dublin Live that when her son left the home, he was wearing light grey basketball shoes, tight sport trousers and a warm navy jacket with a hoodie. He was also carrying a black and blue Puma school bag. The t...
A man and woman were arrested following a stabbing incident that left Dublin city centre on lockdown on Sunday evening. The pair were taken to Pearse st station after another man in his early 20s was hospitalised with 'non-fatal injuries'. It is believed a fight spilled out onto the road with one witness telling Dublin Live that she thought the man was going to be "throw him into the river". She said: "They stopped the traffic while they were fighting that...