Two teenage boys are suspects in rape of girl (14) outside disco

GardaÍ are investigating whether two young teenage boys are involved in the alleged rape of a 14-year-old girl at a teenage disco.

The two teenagers, who are understood to be roughly the same age as the alleged victim, have not yet been arrested.

The girl said she was raped by the two boys in Co Leitrim on Friday, July 28.

Gardaí have confirmed that a full investigation team has been assembled in Carrick-on-Shannon to investigate the incident, which is reported to have occurred in the grounds of Cartown nightclub.

The alleged incident is understood to have happened outside.

Gardaí are appealing for anyone who was at the event on the night in question between 8pm and midnight to contact them.

The traumatised teenager has claimed she was attacked by the two teenagers after leaving the Cartown venue.

The victim is said to have confided in her friend in the aftermath of the attack, who told her own parents and whose mother immediately contacted gardaí.

Sources said that gardaí are treating the allegations as "credible".

Fianna Fáil councillor Sean McGowan, for Carrick-on-Shannon, said he was "truly horrified" by the incident.

"She's only a child and my thoughts are with the girl and her family," he said. "As a parent, it's one of the worst calls you could get so you would have to think about them in this case."

Fine Gael Councillor Finola Armstrong-McGuire said it was a "terrible incident".

"I think it's important as it's such a sensitive issue that we should try and respect the family in this time," she told the Irish Independent.

Yesterday's revelation regarding the teen disco attack in Co Leitrim comes as officers in Swords, north Co Dublin, continue their probe into an alleged rape of a 19-year-old woman at the Wright Venue nightclub in the early hours of Saturday, July 29.

It is understood that the alleged victim was attacked at 2am by two men at the same time when she was "passed out" in a VIP section of the nightclub.

Coolock gardaí on the city's northside were called after staff in the club observed the incident on CCTV and identified the suspects, before officers were contacted.

The suspects, who are aged 20 and 21 and from Navan, Co Meath, were arrested in the nightclub and detained at Coolock garda station before being released without charge early on Sunday, July 30.

In a completely separate incident, a Spanish student aged 18 was allegedly attacked in the Ringsend area after meeting a man on the city's quays.

On July 21 a man appeared in court charged with raping, imprisoning and threatening to kill the Spanish teenager.

Last week in Dublin District Court, it emerged that gardaí were looking to bring further charges against a 24-year-old man accused of rape and false imprisonment.

Read more news on our site.

rapeofgirl outsidedisco teenageboys
If you notice an error, highlight the text you want and press Ctrl + Enter to report it to the editor
2 views in december
I recommend
No recommendations yet


Post your comment to communicate and discuss this article.

Anotorious Estonian hitman who travelled to Ireland to carry out a murder for the Kinahan Gang has been caged for six years. Imre Arakas, who was under garda surveillance, flew into Ireland on a murder mission to take out James “Mago” Gately. The Special Criminal Court was told that Arakas bought a wig in Dublin city and used an encrypted Blackberry phone to receive information about the movements and location of Mr Gately in Northern Ireland. The 60-year-...
Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has said he was "very satisfied" with the EU's position on the Irish backstop at last night's summit meeting. He said the European Union stands by the Withdrawal Agreement that was negotiated. EU leaders rejected British Prime Minister Theresa May's call for legally binding assurances on the Irish backstop and ruled out any changes to the Withdrawal Agreement. Speaking to reporters on day two of the summit in Brussels, Mr Varadkar sa...
Gardai are appealing for witnesses after a woman was allegedly sexually assaulted in a car in Dublin. The incident happened around Ballsbridge in the early hours of Sunday morning with investigators on the hunt for a man in his '20s or 30s' with short dark hair, a short beard, and glasses. A source told Dublin Live that one theory being explored is that the victim may have been in a taxi at the time. The source explained: "This woman was enjoying a night o...
Gardai have been gathering CCTV evidence at a hotel where an alleged rape involving a well-known sports star took place. Forensic experts and detectives visited the property in South Co Dublin on Tuesday night to hunt for clues. Initially it was believed the incident took place at a south inner-city hotel but after further inquiries it was determined it happened closer to the Dundrum area. A source said: “Detectives and scenes of crime gardai arrived at th...
The plans for the SDCC and Cluid housing social apartments were approved at Monday's full meeting of the council. On Monday, 81 social housing apartments for the elderly on a site beside Tallaght Stadium were approved by South Dublin County Council (SDCC) - writes This was despite a campaign calling on the council to save the land which houses a council depot at Watergate Sean Walsh Park. Local groups such as Tallaght Community Council and Ta...
Two people have been arrested following a stabbing incident in Dublin city centre. The incident happened on Essex Quay at around 4.40pm. A man aged in his late 20s was treated at the scene and taken to St James's Hospital with non-life threatening injuries following the incident. A man and woman, both aged in their 20s, were arrested at the scene and are being detained at Pearse Street Garda Station. Gardaí sealed off part of the south quays for several ho...
A kitchen went up in flames yesterday after some Christmas decorations were left on top of a microvwave. The Dublin Fire Brigade had to be called to quell the flames after tinsel caught fire having been left over a mircowave. Firefighters have warned others to be more careful with their decorating saying the tinsel was placed over the microwave's vent causing it to go up once the machine was turned on. They said: "Yesterday, Firefighters attended a kitchen...
A Dublin mother is extremely concerned for the welfare of her 15-year-old son after he never came home from the shop yesterday. Aleksejs Snitko went to the Tesco shop in Balbriggan yesterday, Saturday December 9 at around 4.30pm. His mother Iveta told Dublin Live that when her son left the home, he was wearing light grey basketball shoes, tight sport trousers and a warm navy jacket with a hoodie. He was also carrying a black and blue Puma school bag. The t...
A man and woman were arrested following a stabbing incident that left Dublin city centre on lockdown on Sunday evening. The pair were taken to Pearse st station after another man in his early 20s was hospitalised with 'non-fatal injuries'. It is believed a fight spilled out onto the road with one witness telling Dublin Live that she thought the man was going to be "throw him into the river". She said: "They stopped the traffic while they were fighting that...