Flash floods hit north of the country as a month's rain falls in a day

  • Parts of the north and west flooded after four inches of rain fell in just 24 hours
  • Thousands of homes left without power
  • Motorists have had to abandon their vehicles in parts of Donegal and Derry
  • The Fire and Rescue Service of Northern Ireland dealt with 60 incidents

Parts of the north and north west were hit with flooding yesterday as four inches of rain fell in just 24 hours.

Met Eireann forecaster John Eagleton said the rain was more akin to something you would see in continental Europe rather than Ireland.

The storm swept in from the Atlantic before hitting Donegal and then covering Northern Ireland.

Driving conditions in parts of Donegal and Derry were horrendous with many motorists having to abandon their vehicles. The Foyle Arena in Derry was opened as a rest centre due to number of motorists stranded by floods in the city.

Thousands of homes were also left without power and an Armagh swimming pool had to close because of the flooding.

The Fire and Rescue Service of Northern Ireland said it dealt with 60 incidents, mainly in the west related to flooding - in some cases people had to be rescued from their cars.

Mr Eagleton said: "There was a band of rain that crossed right over the north west and Northern Ireland. It was very very intense and was closer to something you would see in parts of continental Europe rather than Ireland."

The forecaster said around four inches of water fell in just 24 hours.

"To put that into context. On a really wet day in Dublin you would typically get around an inch of rain. This is four to five wet days condensed into one. Approximately a month's rain fell in a day."

One local woman told RTE Radio One's Morning Ireland; "The weather has been atrocious.

"We've seen cars being taken away on tow-vans, everything.

"They're actually walking four foot into the water.

"That's how deep the water is with the floods."

Another said; "I have never seen anything like this. It was terrifying. When I saw the water come over the bonnet of the car, I was actually terrified."

Today will be much better with dry and sunny spells across the country.

However, there are a number of traffic diversions in place in the north-west of the country this morning, including a number of roads and bridges closed.

AA Roadwatch have also reported Gráinne's Gap is closed due to mudslides.

In Cavan, The main road near Lough Gowna is reportedly impassable following flooding. The Bawnboy/Ballinamore Rd is also closed near Boley due to flooding.

Motorists in Sligo have been warned by AA Roadwatch that the Carraoe/Sligo Road is closed at Dooney Rock after flooding.

They also report that "there's approximately flooding 2km on the Sligo Town side of Geevagh."

AA Roadwatch has issued some advice for people who will be driving in flooded areas.

They said: "Following yesterday's weather warnings, some routes in the north and northwest are still affected by excess surface water and flooding.

"Don't drive through water unless you're sure it's not too deep for your vehicle.

"If you have to drive through standing water, do so slowly and in the centre of the road as it tends to be the highest point.

"Use a low gear to keep your revs high and don't take your foot off the accelerator as otherwise water can get into your exhaust."

Read also other news of Dublin here.

rainfalls Dublin
If you notice an error, highlight the text you want and press Ctrl + Enter to report it to the editor
2 views in december
I recommend
No recommendations yet


Post your comment to communicate and discuss this article.

Anotorious Estonian hitman who travelled to Ireland to carry out a murder for the Kinahan Gang has been caged for six years. Imre Arakas, who was under garda surveillance, flew into Ireland on a murder mission to take out James “Mago” Gately. The Special Criminal Court was told that Arakas bought a wig in Dublin city and used an encrypted Blackberry phone to receive information about the movements and location of Mr Gately in Northern Ireland. The 60-year-...
Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has said he was "very satisfied" with the EU's position on the Irish backstop at last night's summit meeting. He said the European Union stands by the Withdrawal Agreement that was negotiated. EU leaders rejected British Prime Minister Theresa May's call for legally binding assurances on the Irish backstop and ruled out any changes to the Withdrawal Agreement. Speaking to reporters on day two of the summit in Brussels, Mr Varadkar sa...
Gardai are appealing for witnesses after a woman was allegedly sexually assaulted in a car in Dublin. The incident happened around Ballsbridge in the early hours of Sunday morning with investigators on the hunt for a man in his '20s or 30s' with short dark hair, a short beard, and glasses. A source told Dublin Live that one theory being explored is that the victim may have been in a taxi at the time. The source explained: "This woman was enjoying a night o...
Gardai have been gathering CCTV evidence at a hotel where an alleged rape involving a well-known sports star took place. Forensic experts and detectives visited the property in South Co Dublin on Tuesday night to hunt for clues. Initially it was believed the incident took place at a south inner-city hotel but after further inquiries it was determined it happened closer to the Dundrum area. A source said: “Detectives and scenes of crime gardai arrived at th...
The plans for the SDCC and Cluid housing social apartments were approved at Monday's full meeting of the council. On Monday, 81 social housing apartments for the elderly on a site beside Tallaght Stadium were approved by South Dublin County Council (SDCC) - writes dublinlive.ie This was despite a campaign calling on the council to save the land which houses a council depot at Watergate Sean Walsh Park. Local groups such as Tallaght Community Council and Ta...
Two people have been arrested following a stabbing incident in Dublin city centre. The incident happened on Essex Quay at around 4.40pm. A man aged in his late 20s was treated at the scene and taken to St James's Hospital with non-life threatening injuries following the incident. A man and woman, both aged in their 20s, were arrested at the scene and are being detained at Pearse Street Garda Station. Gardaí sealed off part of the south quays for several ho...
A kitchen went up in flames yesterday after some Christmas decorations were left on top of a microvwave. The Dublin Fire Brigade had to be called to quell the flames after tinsel caught fire having been left over a mircowave. Firefighters have warned others to be more careful with their decorating saying the tinsel was placed over the microwave's vent causing it to go up once the machine was turned on. They said: "Yesterday, Firefighters attended a kitchen...
A Dublin mother is extremely concerned for the welfare of her 15-year-old son after he never came home from the shop yesterday. Aleksejs Snitko went to the Tesco shop in Balbriggan yesterday, Saturday December 9 at around 4.30pm. His mother Iveta told Dublin Live that when her son left the home, he was wearing light grey basketball shoes, tight sport trousers and a warm navy jacket with a hoodie. He was also carrying a black and blue Puma school bag. The t...
A man and woman were arrested following a stabbing incident that left Dublin city centre on lockdown on Sunday evening. The pair were taken to Pearse st station after another man in his early 20s was hospitalised with 'non-fatal injuries'. It is believed a fight spilled out onto the road with one witness telling Dublin Live that she thought the man was going to be "throw him into the river". She said: "They stopped the traffic while they were fighting that...