Farmer suffocated to death after quad bike overturned in field

'There is a lesson to be learned in the use of quad bikes on farms'.

An 81-year-old farmer from Rhode suffocated to death when his quad overturned, an inquest in Tullamore concluded this week - writes

The inquest was told that the victim Jody (Joseph) Nolan, Coole, Rhode, was in very good health at the time of his accidental death in April.

Offaly County Coroner Brian Mahon and a jury heard Dan Reid, a nephew of the deceased, give evidence of finding Mr Nolan under a quad bike.

Mr Reid said he had land beside the deceased and on April 5 last he rang him at 7.30pm and got no answer.

Mr Reid said he rang his own mother at 7.45pm and she had not been speaking to him either.

He went to Mr Nolan's residence at about 8.30pm and saw that the back door was locked. The door of the quad bike shed was open and Mr Nolan's jeep was parked.

The witness said he got the keys for the jeep from where they were usually kept and drove down the field, noticing a quad upside-down when he got out to open a gate.

Jody was under the quad and he lifted it off him and laid the man out.

After checking his eyes he began CPR but got no reaction, though Mr Nolan was not cold.

He rang for help and put the man in the back of the jeep. CPR was carried out by others who arrived and one man went to get an AED.

An ambulance crew also began CPR but Mr Kennedy was later pronounced dead by a doctor.

Mr Reid said Mr Nolan owned the quad and it had only come back from being serviced.

Another nephew of the deceased, Alan Reid, said in evidence that Jody had helped himself and his son move cattle that afternoon.

Alan Reid and his son left at 5.30pm and went home and then received a call from Dan Reid saying that Jody was under a quad.

Dr Nurul Nor, consultant pathologist, gave evidence of carrying out a post mortem at Tullamore Hospital on April 7.

There were abrasions under Mr Nolan's right chin and at the base of his neck on the right side.

He concluded that the quad had landed on him and caused suffocation by compression of the airway and chest. There was no fracture.

Mr Mahon told the inquest the Health & Safety Authority (HSA) had issued a very brief report which made the point that the quad was in good condition and an invoice indicated it had been serviced the previous week.

Mr Mahon said he had come across previous cases involving quads and though this was the first fatality, in his professional capacity (as a solicitor) he was aware they had caused injuries.

He said he thought they were unstable machines, particularly in certain conditions such as on hills and mounds and were prone to falling over.

Mr Mahon said it was a tragic way for a person to end his life but Mr Nolan had lost his life doing what he loved and did best, working on his farm.

"There is a lesson to be learned in the use of quad bikes on farms," added the coroner.

"There are hazards in the use of these machines."

PJ Claffey, a manager with the HSA, said they encountered two or three fatalities every year with quads and they had guidance on their use and continued to promote their safe use.

Read more news from Dublin on our site.

incidents farmer death Dublin
If you notice an error, highlight the text you want and press Ctrl + Enter to report it to the editor
I recommend
No recommendations yet


Post your comment to communicate and discuss this article.

Anotorious Estonian hitman who travelled to Ireland to carry out a murder for the Kinahan Gang has been caged for six years. Imre Arakas, who was under garda surveillance, flew into Ireland on a murder mission to take out James “Mago” Gately. The Special Criminal Court was told that Arakas bought a wig in Dublin city and used an encrypted Blackberry phone to receive information about the movements and location of Mr Gately in Northern Ireland. The 60-year-...
Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has said he was "very satisfied" with the EU's position on the Irish backstop at last night's summit meeting. He said the European Union stands by the Withdrawal Agreement that was negotiated. EU leaders rejected British Prime Minister Theresa May's call for legally binding assurances on the Irish backstop and ruled out any changes to the Withdrawal Agreement. Speaking to reporters on day two of the summit in Brussels, Mr Varadkar sa...
Gardai are appealing for witnesses after a woman was allegedly sexually assaulted in a car in Dublin. The incident happened around Ballsbridge in the early hours of Sunday morning with investigators on the hunt for a man in his '20s or 30s' with short dark hair, a short beard, and glasses. A source told Dublin Live that one theory being explored is that the victim may have been in a taxi at the time. The source explained: "This woman was enjoying a night o...
Gardai have been gathering CCTV evidence at a hotel where an alleged rape involving a well-known sports star took place. Forensic experts and detectives visited the property in South Co Dublin on Tuesday night to hunt for clues. Initially it was believed the incident took place at a south inner-city hotel but after further inquiries it was determined it happened closer to the Dundrum area. A source said: “Detectives and scenes of crime gardai arrived at th...
The plans for the SDCC and Cluid housing social apartments were approved at Monday's full meeting of the council. On Monday, 81 social housing apartments for the elderly on a site beside Tallaght Stadium were approved by South Dublin County Council (SDCC) - writes This was despite a campaign calling on the council to save the land which houses a council depot at Watergate Sean Walsh Park. Local groups such as Tallaght Community Council and Ta...
Two people have been arrested following a stabbing incident in Dublin city centre. The incident happened on Essex Quay at around 4.40pm. A man aged in his late 20s was treated at the scene and taken to St James's Hospital with non-life threatening injuries following the incident. A man and woman, both aged in their 20s, were arrested at the scene and are being detained at Pearse Street Garda Station. Gardaí sealed off part of the south quays for several ho...
A kitchen went up in flames yesterday after some Christmas decorations were left on top of a microvwave. The Dublin Fire Brigade had to be called to quell the flames after tinsel caught fire having been left over a mircowave. Firefighters have warned others to be more careful with their decorating saying the tinsel was placed over the microwave's vent causing it to go up once the machine was turned on. They said: "Yesterday, Firefighters attended a kitchen...
A Dublin mother is extremely concerned for the welfare of her 15-year-old son after he never came home from the shop yesterday. Aleksejs Snitko went to the Tesco shop in Balbriggan yesterday, Saturday December 9 at around 4.30pm. His mother Iveta told Dublin Live that when her son left the home, he was wearing light grey basketball shoes, tight sport trousers and a warm navy jacket with a hoodie. He was also carrying a black and blue Puma school bag. The t...
A man and woman were arrested following a stabbing incident that left Dublin city centre on lockdown on Sunday evening. The pair were taken to Pearse st station after another man in his early 20s was hospitalised with 'non-fatal injuries'. It is believed a fight spilled out onto the road with one witness telling Dublin Live that she thought the man was going to be "throw him into the river". She said: "They stopped the traffic while they were fighting that...