Homeless mother of two found dead in hotel room had just been allocated housing by South Dublin County Council

It's the second death of a homeless person within 24 hours.

A homeless mother-of-two who was found dead last night had just been allocated housing by South Dublin County Council .

The woman was housed by Dublin City Council in emergency accommodation in a hotel in Leixlip, Co Kildare, when she was discovered on Wednesday afternoon.

She was 26 and a mother-of-two and had recently accepted a house to live in permanently.

The Dublin Region Homeless Executive said the woman's death was a tragedy and expressed condolences to her family and friends.

"It is particularly poignant in light of the fact that the woman had been offered and had accepted a social house from South Dublin County Council," the agency said.

The tragic news comes on the same day that a man was found dead on a street in Dublin.

The dead man has been named as Apollo House resident Jack Watson and was aged in his 50s.

He had been accessing homeless services for up to two years and had been in contact with outreach teams at midnight on Wednesday on Suffolk Street in Dublin.

He was found unconscious four hours later.

It is understood he had returned from Australia in 2015 and was unable to find permanent housing.

He regularly used the homeless freephone number to find a bed at night.

He had been sleeping on a ledge at the front of the Superdry store on Suffolk Street, a spot frequently used by rough sleepers.

Gardai said he was discovered unconscious at 4am and was treated at the scene before being taken by ambulance to St James's Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

The Dublin Region Homeless Executive said homeless services had been in contact with the man since October 2015.

A post-mortem examination will be carried out and the coroner's office has been notified but foul play is not suspected.

Campaigner Fr Peter McVerry, of the Peter McVerry Trust, said homeless people regularly died, and not just on the street.

"Homeless people die every month and not necessarily on the streets," he said.

"People are dying in hostels, dying from suicide, overdoses, and natural causes.

"That's happening on a regular basis and the only ones we hear about are the ones found dead on the streets."

The Peter McVerry Trust said its Housing First Street Intake team also had contact with the man and they last spoke to him over a week ago just off O'Connell Street.

"It's not about beds. It's about houses," spokesman Francis Doherty said.

"Programmes targeting people sleeping rough can't get access to houses."It's deeply saddening that this man has passed away.

"The problem with homelessness is that there's not enough access to social housing."

A count of homeless people by Inner City Helping Homeless (ICHH) last week recorded 206 people sleeping rough in Dublin.

The agency's outreach team talked to the man on Suffolk Street just a few hours before he died.

Anthony Flynn, ICHH chief executive, questioned why 44 emergency beds in a Civil Defence unit on Wolfe Tone Quay remained closed since the end of the winter initiative last March.

"We've got a situation where only last week we indicated that there would be deaths on the streets due to the lack of access to services and beds," Mr Flynn said.

"We are talking about this a week later."

Read also: Homeless man in his 50s found dead near Grafton Street this morning

Homelessdead Dublin
If you notice an error, highlight the text you want and press Ctrl + Enter to report it to the editor
7 views in december
I recommend
No recommendations yet


Post your comment to communicate and discuss this article.

Anotorious Estonian hitman who travelled to Ireland to carry out a murder for the Kinahan Gang has been caged for six years. Imre Arakas, who was under garda surveillance, flew into Ireland on a murder mission to take out James “Mago” Gately. The Special Criminal Court was told that Arakas bought a wig in Dublin city and used an encrypted Blackberry phone to receive information about the movements and location of Mr Gately in Northern Ireland. The 60-year-...
Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has said he was "very satisfied" with the EU's position on the Irish backstop at last night's summit meeting. He said the European Union stands by the Withdrawal Agreement that was negotiated. EU leaders rejected British Prime Minister Theresa May's call for legally binding assurances on the Irish backstop and ruled out any changes to the Withdrawal Agreement. Speaking to reporters on day two of the summit in Brussels, Mr Varadkar sa...
Gardai are appealing for witnesses after a woman was allegedly sexually assaulted in a car in Dublin. The incident happened around Ballsbridge in the early hours of Sunday morning with investigators on the hunt for a man in his '20s or 30s' with short dark hair, a short beard, and glasses. A source told Dublin Live that one theory being explored is that the victim may have been in a taxi at the time. The source explained: "This woman was enjoying a night o...
Gardai have been gathering CCTV evidence at a hotel where an alleged rape involving a well-known sports star took place. Forensic experts and detectives visited the property in South Co Dublin on Tuesday night to hunt for clues. Initially it was believed the incident took place at a south inner-city hotel but after further inquiries it was determined it happened closer to the Dundrum area. A source said: “Detectives and scenes of crime gardai arrived at th...
The plans for the SDCC and Cluid housing social apartments were approved at Monday's full meeting of the council. On Monday, 81 social housing apartments for the elderly on a site beside Tallaght Stadium were approved by South Dublin County Council (SDCC) - writes dublinlive.ie This was despite a campaign calling on the council to save the land which houses a council depot at Watergate Sean Walsh Park. Local groups such as Tallaght Community Council and Ta...
Two people have been arrested following a stabbing incident in Dublin city centre. The incident happened on Essex Quay at around 4.40pm. A man aged in his late 20s was treated at the scene and taken to St James's Hospital with non-life threatening injuries following the incident. A man and woman, both aged in their 20s, were arrested at the scene and are being detained at Pearse Street Garda Station. Gardaí sealed off part of the south quays for several ho...
A kitchen went up in flames yesterday after some Christmas decorations were left on top of a microvwave. The Dublin Fire Brigade had to be called to quell the flames after tinsel caught fire having been left over a mircowave. Firefighters have warned others to be more careful with their decorating saying the tinsel was placed over the microwave's vent causing it to go up once the machine was turned on. They said: "Yesterday, Firefighters attended a kitchen...
A Dublin mother is extremely concerned for the welfare of her 15-year-old son after he never came home from the shop yesterday. Aleksejs Snitko went to the Tesco shop in Balbriggan yesterday, Saturday December 9 at around 4.30pm. His mother Iveta told Dublin Live that when her son left the home, he was wearing light grey basketball shoes, tight sport trousers and a warm navy jacket with a hoodie. He was also carrying a black and blue Puma school bag. The t...
A man and woman were arrested following a stabbing incident that left Dublin city centre on lockdown on Sunday evening. The pair were taken to Pearse st station after another man in his early 20s was hospitalised with 'non-fatal injuries'. It is believed a fight spilled out onto the road with one witness telling Dublin Live that she thought the man was going to be "throw him into the river". She said: "They stopped the traffic while they were fighting that...