Parents fear 'huge loss of life' over breaches of school building standards

  • 'We simply do not know if it is safe. They say a fire drill can evacuate everyone within five minutes, but we've already lost time'
  • If you're affected by the issue, be sure to contact us at [email protected] or through any of our social media channels

Parents and local representatives have expressed their anger over fire safety concerns in schools, which they believe risks a "huge loss of life". - reports

Safety fears were raised for thousands of school children after the Department of Education announced it would carry out fire audits at more than two dozen schools around the country built over the past 20 years.

Fire safety audits found breaches of standards at five recently built primary schools.

The buildings were meant to provide 60 minutes of fire retardation to allow them to be evacuated. However, the audit found the actual construction meant the level of retardation would be less.

The schools are Powerstown Educate Together National School (ETNS) in Dublin; Gaelscoil na gCloch Liath in Greystones, Co Wicklow; Mullingar ETNS in Co Westmeath; and Belmayne ETNS and St Francis of Assisi NS, both in Belmayne in Dublin.

One concerned parent, who has more than one child in the Gaelscoil na gCloch Liath, said the issue was "of huge concern for a number of reasons".

The woman, who wished to remain anonymous, told the Irish Independent that parents have had "no reassurances" that their fire alarm system was to the required standard.

"We simply do not know if it is safe," she said. "They say a fire drill can evacuate everyone within five minutes, but we've already lost time (due to fire alarm issues). There's a huge potential for loss of life here."

She also said parents had not had any reassurances in regards to the fire certificates and whether they were adequate or not. "We have had no assurances at all of when the works will take place," she said.

"Fire will travel through these walls faster than regulations allow."

The mother said the delay in getting works done after the report was completed in July 2016 was extremely concerning.

"Why is that okay? There are hundreds of children and staff members at risk here," she said.

A letter sent to parents on Saturday night, seen by the Irish Independent, said the school was safe. "The principal and board of management wish to reassure you that there are no concerns around the health and safety of the school community," the letter said. "The issues outlined in the report do not in any way find that the buildings are dangerous."

Local representatives said it was "shocking" that fire safety issues had yet to be addressed.

Greystones councillor Gráinne McLoughlin said the school had "already out-grown itself". She added: "The whole issue is totally shocking, to be honest."

Cllr McLoughlin said there was "a lot of anger amongst parents" over how it was handled.

A petition has also been signed by 415 residents in Belmayne attempting to force the building of two new schools in the area, which received planning permission in May 2016.

A statement from the Belmayne Residents' Group said it was "morally reprehensible" that the safety of more than 800 children was put at risk.

The statement described the issue as "shocking".

Read more news of Dublin here.

Parents school Dublin
If you notice an error, highlight the text you want and press Ctrl + Enter to report it to the editor
I recommend
No recommendations yet


Post your comment to communicate and discuss this article.

Anotorious Estonian hitman who travelled to Ireland to carry out a murder for the Kinahan Gang has been caged for six years. Imre Arakas, who was under garda surveillance, flew into Ireland on a murder mission to take out James “Mago” Gately. The Special Criminal Court was told that Arakas bought a wig in Dublin city and used an encrypted Blackberry phone to receive information about the movements and location of Mr Gately in Northern Ireland. The 60-year-...
Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has said he was "very satisfied" with the EU's position on the Irish backstop at last night's summit meeting. He said the European Union stands by the Withdrawal Agreement that was negotiated. EU leaders rejected British Prime Minister Theresa May's call for legally binding assurances on the Irish backstop and ruled out any changes to the Withdrawal Agreement. Speaking to reporters on day two of the summit in Brussels, Mr Varadkar sa...
Gardai are appealing for witnesses after a woman was allegedly sexually assaulted in a car in Dublin. The incident happened around Ballsbridge in the early hours of Sunday morning with investigators on the hunt for a man in his '20s or 30s' with short dark hair, a short beard, and glasses. A source told Dublin Live that one theory being explored is that the victim may have been in a taxi at the time. The source explained: "This woman was enjoying a night o...
Gardai have been gathering CCTV evidence at a hotel where an alleged rape involving a well-known sports star took place. Forensic experts and detectives visited the property in South Co Dublin on Tuesday night to hunt for clues. Initially it was believed the incident took place at a south inner-city hotel but after further inquiries it was determined it happened closer to the Dundrum area. A source said: “Detectives and scenes of crime gardai arrived at th...
The plans for the SDCC and Cluid housing social apartments were approved at Monday's full meeting of the council. On Monday, 81 social housing apartments for the elderly on a site beside Tallaght Stadium were approved by South Dublin County Council (SDCC) - writes This was despite a campaign calling on the council to save the land which houses a council depot at Watergate Sean Walsh Park. Local groups such as Tallaght Community Council and Ta...
Two people have been arrested following a stabbing incident in Dublin city centre. The incident happened on Essex Quay at around 4.40pm. A man aged in his late 20s was treated at the scene and taken to St James's Hospital with non-life threatening injuries following the incident. A man and woman, both aged in their 20s, were arrested at the scene and are being detained at Pearse Street Garda Station. Gardaí sealed off part of the south quays for several ho...
A kitchen went up in flames yesterday after some Christmas decorations were left on top of a microvwave. The Dublin Fire Brigade had to be called to quell the flames after tinsel caught fire having been left over a mircowave. Firefighters have warned others to be more careful with their decorating saying the tinsel was placed over the microwave's vent causing it to go up once the machine was turned on. They said: "Yesterday, Firefighters attended a kitchen...
A Dublin mother is extremely concerned for the welfare of her 15-year-old son after he never came home from the shop yesterday. Aleksejs Snitko went to the Tesco shop in Balbriggan yesterday, Saturday December 9 at around 4.30pm. His mother Iveta told Dublin Live that when her son left the home, he was wearing light grey basketball shoes, tight sport trousers and a warm navy jacket with a hoodie. He was also carrying a black and blue Puma school bag. The t...
A man and woman were arrested following a stabbing incident that left Dublin city centre on lockdown on Sunday evening. The pair were taken to Pearse st station after another man in his early 20s was hospitalised with 'non-fatal injuries'. It is believed a fight spilled out onto the road with one witness telling Dublin Live that she thought the man was going to be "throw him into the river". She said: "They stopped the traffic while they were fighting that...