A kid found pipe bomb and handed it to his grandparents

A pipe bomb left under a prison officer's car in the driveway of a Dublin house was picked up by an eight-year-old - who unwittingly took it inside and gave it to his grandparents, a court has been told.

The child's elderly grandparents did not realise what it was and handed it over to another person, who tried to open it. They fled the house when ball bearings began to fall out - writes herald.ie.

Mark O'Shea (31) is facing trial for possession of explosives after Dublin District Court heard he allegedly left the bomb, which was later discovered by the child when the householder moved the car without noticing it.


The DPP directed that the case could be dealt with in the district court as a "minor offence" but Judge Alan Mitchell refused jurisdiction.

He said he "did not know how" the DPP could have considered it a minor offence.

Mr O' Shea, of no fixed address but originally from Co Cork, is charged with possession of explosives at St Aidan's Park, Marino, on June 11.

Garda Sergeant Liam Donoghue told the court the DPP had directed summary disposal of the case in the district court on a guilty plea only.

Outlining the case, he said it was alleged the accused walked into the driveway of the house with a pipe bomb in a bag and left it under a car.

The owner moved the car at 11am, not realising the pipe bomb was there. The court heard the child picked the bomb up without realising what it was. It was taken into the house and given to the child's grandparents, who are in their 70s, the court heard.

The grandparents did not know what it was either and gave it to another adult, who tried to open it.

Ball bearings began to fall out of the object and at that point the house was abandoned, Sgt Donoghue said.

"I don't know how the director considered it was a matter which could be a minor offence," Judge Mitchell said.


"There is no earthly way I would consider it a minor offence. It was a serious offence in my view."

He said it "definitely" did not warrant being dealt with in the district court, even on a guilty plea.

The maximum sentence at this level was one year, he added.

The accused consented to a remand in custody for two weeks for the preparation of a book of evidence, his solicitor John Wood said.

The case was adjourned to September 14. The judge said it was unlikely that the book would be ready and the accused consented to appearing via video-link on the next date.

Read other Dublin news here.

pipebomb Dublin
If you notice an error, highlight the text you want and press Ctrl + Enter to report it to the editor
1 view in december
I recommend
No recommendations yet


Post your comment to communicate and discuss this article.

Anotorious Estonian hitman who travelled to Ireland to carry out a murder for the Kinahan Gang has been caged for six years. Imre Arakas, who was under garda surveillance, flew into Ireland on a murder mission to take out James “Mago” Gately. The Special Criminal Court was told that Arakas bought a wig in Dublin city and used an encrypted Blackberry phone to receive information about the movements and location of Mr Gately in Northern Ireland. The 60-year-...
Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has said he was "very satisfied" with the EU's position on the Irish backstop at last night's summit meeting. He said the European Union stands by the Withdrawal Agreement that was negotiated. EU leaders rejected British Prime Minister Theresa May's call for legally binding assurances on the Irish backstop and ruled out any changes to the Withdrawal Agreement. Speaking to reporters on day two of the summit in Brussels, Mr Varadkar sa...
Gardai are appealing for witnesses after a woman was allegedly sexually assaulted in a car in Dublin. The incident happened around Ballsbridge in the early hours of Sunday morning with investigators on the hunt for a man in his '20s or 30s' with short dark hair, a short beard, and glasses. A source told Dublin Live that one theory being explored is that the victim may have been in a taxi at the time. The source explained: "This woman was enjoying a night o...
Gardai have been gathering CCTV evidence at a hotel where an alleged rape involving a well-known sports star took place. Forensic experts and detectives visited the property in South Co Dublin on Tuesday night to hunt for clues. Initially it was believed the incident took place at a south inner-city hotel but after further inquiries it was determined it happened closer to the Dundrum area. A source said: “Detectives and scenes of crime gardai arrived at th...
The plans for the SDCC and Cluid housing social apartments were approved at Monday's full meeting of the council. On Monday, 81 social housing apartments for the elderly on a site beside Tallaght Stadium were approved by South Dublin County Council (SDCC) - writes dublinlive.ie This was despite a campaign calling on the council to save the land which houses a council depot at Watergate Sean Walsh Park. Local groups such as Tallaght Community Council and Ta...
Two people have been arrested following a stabbing incident in Dublin city centre. The incident happened on Essex Quay at around 4.40pm. A man aged in his late 20s was treated at the scene and taken to St James's Hospital with non-life threatening injuries following the incident. A man and woman, both aged in their 20s, were arrested at the scene and are being detained at Pearse Street Garda Station. Gardaí sealed off part of the south quays for several ho...
A kitchen went up in flames yesterday after some Christmas decorations were left on top of a microvwave. The Dublin Fire Brigade had to be called to quell the flames after tinsel caught fire having been left over a mircowave. Firefighters have warned others to be more careful with their decorating saying the tinsel was placed over the microwave's vent causing it to go up once the machine was turned on. They said: "Yesterday, Firefighters attended a kitchen...
A Dublin mother is extremely concerned for the welfare of her 15-year-old son after he never came home from the shop yesterday. Aleksejs Snitko went to the Tesco shop in Balbriggan yesterday, Saturday December 9 at around 4.30pm. His mother Iveta told Dublin Live that when her son left the home, he was wearing light grey basketball shoes, tight sport trousers and a warm navy jacket with a hoodie. He was also carrying a black and blue Puma school bag. The t...
A man and woman were arrested following a stabbing incident that left Dublin city centre on lockdown on Sunday evening. The pair were taken to Pearse st station after another man in his early 20s was hospitalised with 'non-fatal injuries'. It is believed a fight spilled out onto the road with one witness telling Dublin Live that she thought the man was going to be "throw him into the river". She said: "They stopped the traffic while they were fighting that...