Drug dealer 'supplied cars for 'Bottler' hit bid that killed two'

The man arrested in connection with the murder of two innocent people - in a botched hit on Derek 'Bottler' Devoy - is a convicted drug dealer from the north of the city, it has emerged.

Detectives investigating the killings of Antoinette Corbally-Devoy (47) and Clinton Shannon (30) questioned a north Dublin criminal for a number of days over his suspected involvement in the shooting - informs herald.ie.

Gardai believe the suspect, aged in his early 30s, provided logistical support for the double murder in Ballymun last month.

Sources said the man, who is well known to gardai in north Dublin, has a number of convictions for being in possession of drugs with the intent to sell or supply.

"He would be a serious criminal in the local area," a source said.

It is understood gardai believe he supplied vehicles to the hit team responsible for the brutal attack.

He was arrested last Monday and held for a number of days before being released without charge. The Herald previously revealed that two notorious criminals from the north inner city were being blamed for carrying out the atrocity.

Associates of the intended target of the attack, 'Bottler' Devoy (37), believe the two men were responsible.

Among the two being blamed by Devoy's gang is the chief suspect for the 2014 slaying of Bottler's brother, Michael 'Mad Mickey' Devoy (41). He was murdered shortly after his release from Portlaoise Prison.


The military-trained hitman, aged in his mid-20s, is also a suspect in the Hutch/Kinahan feud murder of Michael Keogh.

"This 'gun for hire' is a heavy hitter in terms of organised crime and he has close links to a number of gangs, including both sides of the feud," a senior source told the Herald.

"He is involved in extortion, debt collection and is associated with Provos in the north inner city."

The other suspected hitman has been closely monitored by gardai.

They believe he could be used at a "minute's notice" to carry out the murder of a rival Kinahan cartel member.

Aged in his 40s, he has been out of prison since 2013.

He served a lengthy sentence after being busted following a major surveillance operation by the Garda National Drugs and Organised Crime Bureau.

A major Garda investigation is continuing into the double murder last month.

The two victims - mum-of-six Ms Corbally-Devoy and Bottler's friend Mr Shannon - were riddled with bullets when the gunmen emptied their magazines into them, the post-mortem examinations established.

Also injured in the gun attack, in Balbutcher Drive, Ballymun, were an 18-year-old relative of 'Bottler' Devoy and an innocent bystander.

Detective Superintendent Colm Fox, who is leading the investigation, said the cars that were used in the murder had been bought weeks before.


He added that a silver Opel Zafira - registration 08-LS-3101 - was parked beside a building site at the junction of Balbutcher Lane and Balbutcher Drive for at least an hour before the shooting.

The funerals of the two innocent murder victims took place last week.

Despite the threat to his life, 'Bottler' was among the chief mourners at his sister's funeral Mass in Ballymun.

The funeral of Clinton Shannon, which took place in Laytown, Co Meath, heard his parents "hold no animosity" following the murder of their son.

Read more news of Dublin here.

Drugdealer crime Dublin
If you notice an error, highlight the text you want and press Ctrl + Enter to report it to the editor
87 views in december
I recommend
No recommendations yet


Post your comment to communicate and discuss this article.

Anotorious Estonian hitman who travelled to Ireland to carry out a murder for the Kinahan Gang has been caged for six years. Imre Arakas, who was under garda surveillance, flew into Ireland on a murder mission to take out James “Mago” Gately. The Special Criminal Court was told that Arakas bought a wig in Dublin city and used an encrypted Blackberry phone to receive information about the movements and location of Mr Gately in Northern Ireland. The 60-year-...
Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has said he was "very satisfied" with the EU's position on the Irish backstop at last night's summit meeting. He said the European Union stands by the Withdrawal Agreement that was negotiated. EU leaders rejected British Prime Minister Theresa May's call for legally binding assurances on the Irish backstop and ruled out any changes to the Withdrawal Agreement. Speaking to reporters on day two of the summit in Brussels, Mr Varadkar sa...
Gardai are appealing for witnesses after a woman was allegedly sexually assaulted in a car in Dublin. The incident happened around Ballsbridge in the early hours of Sunday morning with investigators on the hunt for a man in his '20s or 30s' with short dark hair, a short beard, and glasses. A source told Dublin Live that one theory being explored is that the victim may have been in a taxi at the time. The source explained: "This woman was enjoying a night o...
Gardai have been gathering CCTV evidence at a hotel where an alleged rape involving a well-known sports star took place. Forensic experts and detectives visited the property in South Co Dublin on Tuesday night to hunt for clues. Initially it was believed the incident took place at a south inner-city hotel but after further inquiries it was determined it happened closer to the Dundrum area. A source said: “Detectives and scenes of crime gardai arrived at th...
The plans for the SDCC and Cluid housing social apartments were approved at Monday's full meeting of the council. On Monday, 81 social housing apartments for the elderly on a site beside Tallaght Stadium were approved by South Dublin County Council (SDCC) - writes dublinlive.ie This was despite a campaign calling on the council to save the land which houses a council depot at Watergate Sean Walsh Park. Local groups such as Tallaght Community Council and Ta...
Two people have been arrested following a stabbing incident in Dublin city centre. The incident happened on Essex Quay at around 4.40pm. A man aged in his late 20s was treated at the scene and taken to St James's Hospital with non-life threatening injuries following the incident. A man and woman, both aged in their 20s, were arrested at the scene and are being detained at Pearse Street Garda Station. Gardaí sealed off part of the south quays for several ho...
A kitchen went up in flames yesterday after some Christmas decorations were left on top of a microvwave. The Dublin Fire Brigade had to be called to quell the flames after tinsel caught fire having been left over a mircowave. Firefighters have warned others to be more careful with their decorating saying the tinsel was placed over the microwave's vent causing it to go up once the machine was turned on. They said: "Yesterday, Firefighters attended a kitchen...
A Dublin mother is extremely concerned for the welfare of her 15-year-old son after he never came home from the shop yesterday. Aleksejs Snitko went to the Tesco shop in Balbriggan yesterday, Saturday December 9 at around 4.30pm. His mother Iveta told Dublin Live that when her son left the home, he was wearing light grey basketball shoes, tight sport trousers and a warm navy jacket with a hoodie. He was also carrying a black and blue Puma school bag. The t...
A man and woman were arrested following a stabbing incident that left Dublin city centre on lockdown on Sunday evening. The pair were taken to Pearse st station after another man in his early 20s was hospitalised with 'non-fatal injuries'. It is believed a fight spilled out onto the road with one witness telling Dublin Live that she thought the man was going to be "throw him into the river". She said: "They stopped the traffic while they were fighting that...