Drivers banned in penalty points scandal to sue Garda

Several civil actions are being prepared against An Garda Síochána by lawyers acting for motorists badly affected by the penalty points debacle.

They include motorists who ended up being disqualified after they were prosecuted and hit with points despite never receiving a fixed charge penalty notice - writes independent.ie.

One leading solicitor told the Irish Independent he was preparing four such cases that would be lodged shortly.

Some involve motorists who would be seeking damages after losing their jobs as a direct result of being disqualified.

Other law firms said they had been contacted by people in similar circumstances who were now considering legal action.

Any driver accumulating 12 penalty points within any given three-year period is automatically disqualified from driving for six months.

A lower threshold of seven penalty points applies for learner drivers and motorists in the first two years after obtaining a full licence.

Approximately 14,700 people received convictions and court-imposed penalties, including the imposition of penalty points, despite never being sent a fixed-charge notice.

Had they received the notices, they could have simply paid fines and avoided a court appearance and the imposition of additional points.

The massive legal blunder by gardaí included hundreds of cases where motorists were issued with more than one summons for the same offence.

Gardaí began a process of appealing cases where convictions, fines and points were handed out in error, so the motorists involved would not have to. The first appeal cases came before the President of the Circuit Court, Judge Raymond Groarke, on July 19.

A Garda spokesman said these had been successfully appealed and the Court Services was in the process of updating the records of the motorists involved and returning fines paid.

A report on the debacle by Assistant Commissioner Michael O'Sullivan laid some of the blame on an overly complicated system for administering points and the involvement of too many agencies in the process.

"The examination team is satisfied that this was not a deliberate act of commission or omission by any one individual, rather it was an unintended consequence of the continuous upgrading of the Fixed Charge Processing System on a piecemeal basis," his report stated.

The review suggested there were too many offences attracting penalty points.

Of 614 offences, only four had been detected more than 100,000 times, 25 have been used more than 10,000 times and 66 offences more than 1,000 times.

Read more news of Dublin here.

independent.ie
Driversbanned Garda
If you notice an error, highlight the text you want and press Ctrl + Enter to report it to the editor
1 view in december
I recommend
No recommendations yet

Comments

Post your comment to communicate and discuss this article.

Society
Anotorious Estonian hitman who travelled to Ireland to carry out a murder for the Kinahan Gang has been caged for six years. Imre Arakas, who was under garda surveillance, flew into Ireland on a murder mission to take out James “Mago” Gately. The Special Criminal Court was told that Arakas bought a wig in Dublin city and used an encrypted Blackberry phone to receive information about the movements and location of Mr Gately in Northern Ireland. The 60-year-...
Society
Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has said he was "very satisfied" with the EU's position on the Irish backstop at last night's summit meeting. He said the European Union stands by the Withdrawal Agreement that was negotiated. EU leaders rejected British Prime Minister Theresa May's call for legally binding assurances on the Irish backstop and ruled out any changes to the Withdrawal Agreement. Speaking to reporters on day two of the summit in Brussels, Mr Varadkar sa...
Society
Gardai are appealing for witnesses after a woman was allegedly sexually assaulted in a car in Dublin. The incident happened around Ballsbridge in the early hours of Sunday morning with investigators on the hunt for a man in his '20s or 30s' with short dark hair, a short beard, and glasses. A source told Dublin Live that one theory being explored is that the victim may have been in a taxi at the time. The source explained: "This woman was enjoying a night o...
Society
Gardai have been gathering CCTV evidence at a hotel where an alleged rape involving a well-known sports star took place. Forensic experts and detectives visited the property in South Co Dublin on Tuesday night to hunt for clues. Initially it was believed the incident took place at a south inner-city hotel but after further inquiries it was determined it happened closer to the Dundrum area. A source said: “Detectives and scenes of crime gardai arrived at th...
Society
The plans for the SDCC and Cluid housing social apartments were approved at Monday's full meeting of the council. On Monday, 81 social housing apartments for the elderly on a site beside Tallaght Stadium were approved by South Dublin County Council (SDCC) - writes dublinlive.ie This was despite a campaign calling on the council to save the land which houses a council depot at Watergate Sean Walsh Park. Local groups such as Tallaght Community Council and Ta...
Society
Two people have been arrested following a stabbing incident in Dublin city centre. The incident happened on Essex Quay at around 4.40pm. A man aged in his late 20s was treated at the scene and taken to St James's Hospital with non-life threatening injuries following the incident. A man and woman, both aged in their 20s, were arrested at the scene and are being detained at Pearse Street Garda Station. Gardaí sealed off part of the south quays for several ho...
Society
A kitchen went up in flames yesterday after some Christmas decorations were left on top of a microvwave. The Dublin Fire Brigade had to be called to quell the flames after tinsel caught fire having been left over a mircowave. Firefighters have warned others to be more careful with their decorating saying the tinsel was placed over the microwave's vent causing it to go up once the machine was turned on. They said: "Yesterday, Firefighters attended a kitchen...
Society
A Dublin mother is extremely concerned for the welfare of her 15-year-old son after he never came home from the shop yesterday. Aleksejs Snitko went to the Tesco shop in Balbriggan yesterday, Saturday December 9 at around 4.30pm. His mother Iveta told Dublin Live that when her son left the home, he was wearing light grey basketball shoes, tight sport trousers and a warm navy jacket with a hoodie. He was also carrying a black and blue Puma school bag. The t...
Society
A man and woman were arrested following a stabbing incident that left Dublin city centre on lockdown on Sunday evening. The pair were taken to Pearse st station after another man in his early 20s was hospitalised with 'non-fatal injuries'. It is believed a fight spilled out onto the road with one witness telling Dublin Live that she thought the man was going to be "throw him into the river". She said: "They stopped the traffic while they were fighting that...