'Everyone is just in shock': Community 'numb' after young man dies trying to save his brother

Tributes have been paid following the tragic death of a young man in Monaghan on Wednesday evening.

Gary Askin (28) died after being overcome by fumes at a mushroomprocessing plant at Cornacrieve, Emyvale, Monaghan - writes thejournal.ie.

Gardaí received an emergency call to the scene at about 8pm on Wednesday evening. First responders found Gary, his brother Stephen and another man unconscious in a silo at the plant.

Gary was pronounced dead at the scene.

Local councillorSeamus Treanor said that Stephen had gotten into difficulty in one of the silos in the plant and Gary had saved him, but had been overcome by fumes himself.

“To think the brave young man was trying to save his brother and another lad,”Treanor toldTheJournal.ie.

Gary came from a well-know family in Emyvale and was heavily involved in the local GAA community.

Treanor said that the entire community was in shock following his death.

“The entire community is numb at this time,” he said.

“Everyone is just in shock. He was a really big part of the GAA here and his family is really involved with the entire community in Emyvale.

You think of so many bad people in this wold and here are people who are so good in life and for this man to be taken away is so tragic.

“A black cloud”

Gary was a lifetime player of Emyvale GAA Club. The club honoured him yesterday in a Facebook post.

“A black cloud descended over Emyvale yesterday evening when the news broke that Gary Askin had lost his life in a workplace accident while trying to save others,” the club said.

“Gary was a member of Emyvale GAA Club from the age of ten and played at every level through juvenile, minor, U21and senior.He was part of the U14 team that won the county league in 2003.

But we will remember him especially for his smiling face, witty remarks, good humour, great personality and love of life. The bingo and all football matches over the weekend have been cancelled as a mark of respect.

Garda crime scene examiners investigated the silo following the incident and a post-mortem examination was carried out on Gary’s body.

His funeral mass will take placeon Sunday at 11.30am in St Patrick’s Church, Corracrin.

Read more news of Dublin on our site.

tragedy death Dublin
If you notice an error, highlight the text you want and press Ctrl + Enter to report it to the editor
2 views in december
I recommend
No recommendations yet


Post your comment to communicate and discuss this article.

Anotorious Estonian hitman who travelled to Ireland to carry out a murder for the Kinahan Gang has been caged for six years. Imre Arakas, who was under garda surveillance, flew into Ireland on a murder mission to take out James “Mago” Gately. The Special Criminal Court was told that Arakas bought a wig in Dublin city and used an encrypted Blackberry phone to receive information about the movements and location of Mr Gately in Northern Ireland. The 60-year-...
Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has said he was "very satisfied" with the EU's position on the Irish backstop at last night's summit meeting. He said the European Union stands by the Withdrawal Agreement that was negotiated. EU leaders rejected British Prime Minister Theresa May's call for legally binding assurances on the Irish backstop and ruled out any changes to the Withdrawal Agreement. Speaking to reporters on day two of the summit in Brussels, Mr Varadkar sa...
Gardai are appealing for witnesses after a woman was allegedly sexually assaulted in a car in Dublin. The incident happened around Ballsbridge in the early hours of Sunday morning with investigators on the hunt for a man in his '20s or 30s' with short dark hair, a short beard, and glasses. A source told Dublin Live that one theory being explored is that the victim may have been in a taxi at the time. The source explained: "This woman was enjoying a night o...
Gardai have been gathering CCTV evidence at a hotel where an alleged rape involving a well-known sports star took place. Forensic experts and detectives visited the property in South Co Dublin on Tuesday night to hunt for clues. Initially it was believed the incident took place at a south inner-city hotel but after further inquiries it was determined it happened closer to the Dundrum area. A source said: “Detectives and scenes of crime gardai arrived at th...
The plans for the SDCC and Cluid housing social apartments were approved at Monday's full meeting of the council. On Monday, 81 social housing apartments for the elderly on a site beside Tallaght Stadium were approved by South Dublin County Council (SDCC) - writes dublinlive.ie This was despite a campaign calling on the council to save the land which houses a council depot at Watergate Sean Walsh Park. Local groups such as Tallaght Community Council and Ta...
Two people have been arrested following a stabbing incident in Dublin city centre. The incident happened on Essex Quay at around 4.40pm. A man aged in his late 20s was treated at the scene and taken to St James's Hospital with non-life threatening injuries following the incident. A man and woman, both aged in their 20s, were arrested at the scene and are being detained at Pearse Street Garda Station. Gardaí sealed off part of the south quays for several ho...
A kitchen went up in flames yesterday after some Christmas decorations were left on top of a microvwave. The Dublin Fire Brigade had to be called to quell the flames after tinsel caught fire having been left over a mircowave. Firefighters have warned others to be more careful with their decorating saying the tinsel was placed over the microwave's vent causing it to go up once the machine was turned on. They said: "Yesterday, Firefighters attended a kitchen...
A Dublin mother is extremely concerned for the welfare of her 15-year-old son after he never came home from the shop yesterday. Aleksejs Snitko went to the Tesco shop in Balbriggan yesterday, Saturday December 9 at around 4.30pm. His mother Iveta told Dublin Live that when her son left the home, he was wearing light grey basketball shoes, tight sport trousers and a warm navy jacket with a hoodie. He was also carrying a black and blue Puma school bag. The t...
A man and woman were arrested following a stabbing incident that left Dublin city centre on lockdown on Sunday evening. The pair were taken to Pearse st station after another man in his early 20s was hospitalised with 'non-fatal injuries'. It is believed a fight spilled out onto the road with one witness telling Dublin Live that she thought the man was going to be "throw him into the river". She said: "They stopped the traffic while they were fighting that...