Letter claims garda whistleblower kept in dark over allegations probe

A arda who has alleged major criminal wrongdoing within the force has urgently sought clarification on how his allegations have been investigated, RTÉ has learned.

According to correspondence seen by RTÉ's This Week radio programme, Garda Nick Keoghhas written to Garda Headquarters, saying heis totally in the dark over how several related probes into his allegations are now being handled.

Garda Keogh first alleged in May 2014 that a garda detective was colluding with a drug dealer to supply narcotics into the midlands region - writes rte.ie.

Garda Keogh, who is a decorated officer, raised this with senior management. Since then, he claims that he was subject to bullying and harassment, and that his career has been effectively derailed.

Among the long list of investigations and reports, the conclusions of which he says have been denied to him, include his substantive allegation of criminality.

It was subsequently referred to the Garda Síochána Ombudsman Commission (GSOC) and since then he has had no clarity on what that probe found.

Secondly, in 2015, he complained that a related investigation which examined this alleged criminality was not properly carried out.

Assistant Commissioner Jack Nolan was appointed to head that inquiry up but since Mr Nolan retired earlier this year, Garda Keogh now has no idea who is in charge of that procedure, or if it is even ongoing, he says in his correspondence.

Speaking to RTE's This Week, Carrick-On-Shannon based solicitor John Gerard Cullen, who represents Garda Keogh, said that his client had no idea what was the current status of this complaint.

"We don't know whether it has been mislaid or lost. We don't have any timeframes. We don't have any reasons why it's being treated in this way or that way. We don't have any excuses for the delay," said Mr Cullen.

"No reasons have been adduced why we might have rational confidence, in circumstances where the delay will obviously prejudice the preservation of documents, and electronic evidence and it's self evident that justice delayed is justice denied."

Garda Keogh also outlines in the letter that on 27 March of this year, he then made a complaint of bullying and harassment in which he says he was singled out and subject to mistreatment after he brought the original complaint to senior management.

He says in the letter that the bullying complaint relates in part to a senior officer in the force who has sought promotion, and he has questioned whether the Policing Authority would have been made aware of this complaint.

On the bullying and harassment complaint, Mr Cullen said:"Garda Keogh invoked a formal procedure about six months ago, and we don't have any idea what has happened since then".

Finally, Garda Keogh also raised questions over a report requested by the former Justice Minister Frances Fitzgerald, and carried out by Garda HQ, into Garda Kehoe's treatment.

"I think it was in October 2016, which would now make it almost a year, that the Commissioner advised us she was seeking an urgent report.

"Other than giving a very unusual sense to the word urgent, whereby one is left waiting for an answer for almost a year, nothing is known about the content of that investigation. The only thing we have been advised is that it has gone to GSOC," Mr Cullen said.

"Again the whole matter is inscrutable. We have no idea what's in that urgent report," the solicitor said.

Mr Cullen said that they had been denied even a redacted version of the report.

The Garda Press office said that as administrative offices were closed over the weekend, it was not possible for them to provide any detailed response to a series of questions from RTÉ, into the nature of the reports and investigations sought by Garda Keogh.

Read other news of Dublin on the city site.

GardaPressoffice GarrdaeKeogh letter RTÉi
If you notice an error, highlight the text you want and press Ctrl + Enter to report it to the editor
3 views in december
I recommend
No recommendations yet


Post your comment to communicate and discuss this article.

Two people have been arrested following a stabbing incident in Dublin city centre. The incident happened on Essex Quay at around 4.40pm. A man aged in his late 20s was treated at the scene and taken to St James's Hospital with non-life threatening injuries following the incident. A man and woman, both aged in their 20s, were arrested at the scene and are being detained at Pearse Street Garda Station. Gardaí sealed off part of the south quays for several ho...
A kitchen went up in flames yesterday after some Christmas decorations were left on top of a microvwave. The Dublin Fire Brigade had to be called to quell the flames after tinsel caught fire having been left over a mircowave. Firefighters have warned others to be more careful with their decorating saying the tinsel was placed over the microwave's vent causing it to go up once the machine was turned on. They said: "Yesterday, Firefighters attended a kitchen...
A Dublin mother is extremely concerned for the welfare of her 15-year-old son after he never came home from the shop yesterday. Aleksejs Snitko went to the Tesco shop in Balbriggan yesterday, Saturday December 9 at around 4.30pm. His mother Iveta told Dublin Live that when her son left the home, he was wearing light grey basketball shoes, tight sport trousers and a warm navy jacket with a hoodie. He was also carrying a black and blue Puma school bag. The t...
A man and woman were arrested following a stabbing incident that left Dublin city centre on lockdown on Sunday evening. The pair were taken to Pearse st station after another man in his early 20s was hospitalised with 'non-fatal injuries'. It is believed a fight spilled out onto the road with one witness telling Dublin Live that she thought the man was going to be "throw him into the river". She said: "They stopped the traffic while they were fighting that...
The final report into the marine tragedy in which Doolin-based volunteer coastguard crew member Caitríona Lucas died in 2016 is critical of safety aspects of the operation. It concluded that the Delta Rigid Inflatable Boat that capsized was launched in conditions that were outside the operational limits of the vessel and that there were deficiencies with its communications and navigational equipment. Ms Lucas, a 41-year-old mother-of-two living in Liscanno...
A software development company is to create 85 jobs in Galway over the next 12 months. MathWorks says the expansion will lead to the recruitment of candidates with sales, service, marketing or administrative skills. It hopes to hire 20 people immediately with the remaining 65 roles being filled in 2019. The company opened an office in Galway two years ago. It provides sales and services support throughout Europe, the Middle East and Asia, with staff operat...
A woman was allegedly sexually assaulted by a taxi driver in North Dublin on Saturday night. The woman, believed to be in her 30s, had been picked up by a registered taxi from the Main Street in Malahide after socialising in the area and was heading in the Swords direction. It is believed after the taxi driver dropped off the other people in the car, the alleged victim was left alone with the driver for a stretch of road. The taxi driver then allegedly sex...
A man was yesterday convicted of assaulting and injuring his neighbour by “continuously punching and head-butting him”. Peter Lambe, 50, was found guilty of assaulting 62-year-old Gerard Furlong after he pinned the grandad to the ground and left him bloodied and bruised. The victim, who said he is still in constant fear, suffered serious facial injuries during the frenzied attack on March 4, 2016, which came after ongoing disputes. Mr Furlong described how...
The long-suffering father of Trevor Deely has told how he refuses to abandon his dream that his missing son will one day walk back through the front door of his family home. Heartbroken parents Michael and Ann Deely have endured yet another agonising year in which not one single lead has emerged into their youngest son’s baffling disappearance. But speaking on the eve of the 18th anniversary of the last sighting of the then-22-year-old, resolute Michael sa...