A group of Fingal residents have begun a High Court action challenging permission for a second runway at Dublin Airport.
Dublin Airport runway planning permission challenged
The St Margaret's Concerned Residents Group claim that Fingal County Council was wrong to extend the permission because Dublin Airport had breached the existing permission in carrying out preliminary works - writes rte.ie.
The DAA was originally granted permission for the 3km North Runway in 2007 estimated to cost €329m but did not proceed with the plan because of the economic downturn.
The ten-year permission was extended for a further five years last March.
Works involving the demolition of a fire training centre and derelict farm buildings had started the previous December.
Residents claim that the DAA had not submitted a waste management plan as required by a condition of existing planning permission and that this was only submitted last February.
John Rogers SC for the residents said 327kg of asbestos containing waste was removed as a result of the enabling works up to 9 December last.
He said this was done in the absence of a waste management plan and said Fingal County Council had ignored the non-compliance.
Counsel for the DAA Brian Kennedy SC said that due to an error the waste management plan was not submitted to the local authority before works began.
However the problem had been rectified with the submission of the relevant document before the residents began their legal action.
Counsel added that if the court did find the works were unauthorised development then the court should use its discretion not to grant any of the orders sought by the residents, adding that the second runway is a major development in the state and is of public importance.
The case before Mr Justice Max Barrett is expected to last until Wednesday and will be followed by two more actions against the second runway.
The next one is by 22 named residents and the third by the group Friends of the Irish Environment.
Read more news of Dublin on our site.