Coveney says border talks at 'sensitive place'

Minister for Foreign Affairs Simon Coveney has said discussions with the British government on border issues are in a "sensitive place right now".

He said progress was made on Thursday on the issue of theborder between Ireland and the UK and that continued into the weekend - writes rte.ie.

He added that there is discussion on a text, which has been looked at by the EU and Irish Government negotiating teams, but on "which we don't yet have agreement on".

Speaking on RTÉ's Morning Ireland, Mr Coveney said: "We are not quite yet where we need to be".

A special meeting of the Cabinet will review discussions with the British government this morning.

Mr Coveney said: "Hopefully we'll find a way forward today".

A Government spokesman indicated last night that while progress has been made, a deal is not yet in place.

Sources in Brussels this morning confirmed this assessment.

Minister for European Affairs Helen McEntee said it is impossible for talks to move to the second phase of negotiations without a concrete agreement to avoid a hard border.

Speaking on BBC Radio 4, she said some progress had been made over the weekend.

"I do believe we are nearing closer progress . . .we are not there yet and that is why we are meeting as a Cabinet this morning to look at where we are," she said.

"If there is not enough that has been given to us in written format, it is up to the UK government to produce that.

"I would hope, and I think we all want to hope, that we can move on to phase two as quickly as possible and particularly in time for the December council on the 14th of December."

British Prime MinisterTheresa Maywill travel to Brussels todayseeking EU support to move on to the next phase of negotiations, including wider trade issues.

Tony Connelly: How the coming days will stretch the politics of Brexit to the limit

She is due to meet European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker andEuropean Council President Donald Tusk, who has said if Britain does not come forward with an improved offer on withdrawal terms, he will be unable to recommend EU leadersgive the green light for the second phase of negotiations to begin at their summit on 14-15 December.

He has also made it clear they cannot move on to phase two unless the UK can satisfy the Irish Government that there will be no return to a hard border.

Meanwhile, aformer Secretary of State for Northern Ireland has said it is vital to move on to trade talks, and if that does not happen, the UK should move on to "World Trade Organisation terms".

Speaking on RTÉ's Morning Ireland, Conservative Party MP Owen Paterson said "the overwhelming sense of it is,get on with it".

Mr Paterson said the issue of the border is solvable on both sides.

He said the best deal is reciprocal free trade and no tariffs.

Elsewhere, Manfred Weber, the chairman of the European People's Party - largest group in the European Parliament - has tweeted that the EPPwill not recommend that sufficient progress has beenmade to move to the second phase of Brexit talks, unless a "clear commitment is made" by Britain on theprotection of EU citizens' rights and on theborder issue.

Read also more news of Dublin on our site.

sensitiveplace Coveney Dublin
If you notice an error, highlight the text you want and press Ctrl + Enter to report it to the editor
2 views in september
I recommend
No recommendations yet

Comments

Comments are designed to communicate and discuss the features of an enterprise or event, as well as to find out the interesting questions on it.

Society
Minister for Children and Youth Affairs Katherine Zappone has said she hopes to bring a memo to Government "in the coming weeks"regarding the next steps to be taken at the site of the former Mother-and-Baby-Home in Tuam, CoGalway. Following a public consultation process earlier this year, a total of five different options are under consideration. These range from a full excavation of the burial ground, where "significant quantities of human remains"have be...
Society
The National Ploughing Championships resumed this morning in Tullamore after being closed to the public yesterday over damage caused by Storm Ali. Work wasongoing throughthe night to repair the damage to tents, exhibitions and other infrastructure on the site. The event openedto the public at9am. It will also be opened for an extra day tomorrow. Storm Ali brought gusts of almost 100km/h to the site of the National Ploughing Championships at Screggan outsid...
Society
The Department of Justice has confirmed to RTÉ's Morning Ireland that an estimated 20 people have been refused accommodation in Direct Provision centres over the past two weeks because they are at capacity. A number of asylum seekers have been left homeless as a result and at least one has been forced to sleep on the streets. The Department of Justice saidthe number of people arriving in Ireland applying for international protection has increased over the...
Society
Storm Ali has left many in north Dublin without water after taking out the ESB mains that pumps were running off. Five areas in North Dublin are without water today - although some of those outages were planned for maintenance work. Sutton, Castleknock, Balbriggan, and Garristown have all been affected. You can see the areas below. Water outage in Balbriggan, Wednesday 19th September 2018 due to ESB power outage to pumps at Balrothery - Water off until 6pm...
Society
Charlie Flanagan has vowed to probe how security firms carry out High Court Orders after the eviction of housing protesters. The Justice Minister also insisted balaclava-clad gardai policing last week’s incident in north inner city Dublin were only doing their jobs – and subjected to horrible abuse - writes dublinlive.ie. Mr Flanagan was speaking yesterday after criticism of officers wearing ski masks as they assisted a security firm removing protesters. H...
Society
The mystery of how many people attended the Papal Mass in Dublin’s Phoenix Park has finally been solved. The Office of Public Works revealed yesterday it was almost certainly just under 152,000 – more than 300,000 less than the 485,000 expected. The OPW had counting systems in place for health and safety reasons on day two of the visit last month. The OPW said its best estimate of how many came in this way was “in the order of 20,000”. After the visit on A...
Society
The Luas green line remains partially closed this morning after cable damage from Storm Ali. The ferocious storm caused serious disruption to travel across Dublin and is continuing to do so into Thursday morning. At the moment the green line Luas is operating from Brides Glen to Cowper and Dawson to Broombridge. However there is no service between Cowper and Dawson. Tickets are valid on Dublin Bus and services on the green line and reduced this morning. Co...
Society
Two children from the same family with the same diagnosis have had a very different experience of disability services, writes RTÉ’s Joan O’Sullivan. The Dollard family from Portlaoise in Co Laois, are veterans of children's disability services. Their son Ross, now 17, was diagnosed with epilepsy when he was three years oldand autism when he was four. His parents, Martin and Sarah-Jayne, say he received excellent early intervention services that had an imme...
Society
Opposition TDs have criticised the Government in the Dáil following last month's news of the proposed closures of post offices around the country. The proposal follows a deal between An Post and the Irish Postmasters’ Union , which sees 159 postmasters and postmistresses set to retire and their offices will close. An Post have said that all of the post offices scheduled to close are within a 15km radius of another post office. SinnFéin has tabled a motion...