'Tragic' alcoholic hairdresser in 'dastardly' attack on woman (82)

An alcoholic hairdresser has been jailed for attacking an 82-year-old woman on Grafton Street.

The elderly shopper, who was using a walking frame after undergoing spinal surgery, was knocked to the ground, Dublin District Court was told - writes herald.ie.

Rosaleen Cody (46) grabbed the elderly shopper's hat, then struggled with her as she tried to take it back.

Judge Michael Walsh, who jailed Cody for a year, said it had been an "appalling and dastardly crime".

Cody, of Rathgar Road, Rathgar, admitted assault and 19 other charges relating to public disorder and theft around Dublin.

Gda Sgt Gail Smith said the victim cared for her elderly husband, who suffered from Alzheimer's.

She was walking on Grafton Street on October 19 when Cody pulled off her hat.

As the woman tried to get it back, they struggled and collapsed to the ground.

The victim suffered some bruising but no lasting injuries. Reading a statement, Judge Walsh said it seemed the victim had made light of her injuries.


As Cody was sentenced, she said it had been an accident.

The judge said the victim was shopping for the household when she was set upon by Cody.

She was partially disabled and needed a walking aid to get about, he said.

Separately, on August 26, Cody lunged at a female garda and tried to grab her by the face when she was arrested for drunken behaviour in Fleet Street.

The next day, when she was being released from Kevin Street Garda Station, she became aggressive and abusive and urinated in the public office, which had to be closed until it was cleaned.

On November 2, Cody was acting aggressively in a shop on Lower Rathmines Road.

When confronted by the manager, she threatened to stab her with a pen that the manager had in her hair.

The court heard that Cody had "racked up" 209 previous convictions.

Cody was a "tragic character" who had had a normal life but went "off the tracks," said Matthew De Courcy, defending.

His client was "genuinely

Read more news of Dublin on our site.

'Tragic'alcoholic hairdresser
If you notice an error, highlight the text you want and press Ctrl + Enter to report it to the editor
7 views in december
I recommend
No recommendations yet


Post your comment to communicate and discuss this article.

Two people have been arrested following a stabbing incident in Dublin city centre. The incident happened on Essex Quay at around 4.40pm. A man aged in his late 20s was treated at the scene and taken to St James's Hospital with non-life threatening injuries following the incident. A man and woman, both aged in their 20s, were arrested at the scene and are being detained at Pearse Street Garda Station. Gardaí sealed off part of the south quays for several ho...
A kitchen went up in flames yesterday after some Christmas decorations were left on top of a microvwave. The Dublin Fire Brigade had to be called to quell the flames after tinsel caught fire having been left over a mircowave. Firefighters have warned others to be more careful with their decorating saying the tinsel was placed over the microwave's vent causing it to go up once the machine was turned on. They said: "Yesterday, Firefighters attended a kitchen...
A Dublin mother is extremely concerned for the welfare of her 15-year-old son after he never came home from the shop yesterday. Aleksejs Snitko went to the Tesco shop in Balbriggan yesterday, Saturday December 9 at around 4.30pm. His mother Iveta told Dublin Live that when her son left the home, he was wearing light grey basketball shoes, tight sport trousers and a warm navy jacket with a hoodie. He was also carrying a black and blue Puma school bag. The t...
A man and woman were arrested following a stabbing incident that left Dublin city centre on lockdown on Sunday evening. The pair were taken to Pearse st station after another man in his early 20s was hospitalised with 'non-fatal injuries'. It is believed a fight spilled out onto the road with one witness telling Dublin Live that she thought the man was going to be "throw him into the river". She said: "They stopped the traffic while they were fighting that...
The final report into the marine tragedy in which Doolin-based volunteer coastguard crew member Caitríona Lucas died in 2016 is critical of safety aspects of the operation. It concluded that the Delta Rigid Inflatable Boat that capsized was launched in conditions that were outside the operational limits of the vessel and that there were deficiencies with its communications and navigational equipment. Ms Lucas, a 41-year-old mother-of-two living in Liscanno...
A software development company is to create 85 jobs in Galway over the next 12 months. MathWorks says the expansion will lead to the recruitment of candidates with sales, service, marketing or administrative skills. It hopes to hire 20 people immediately with the remaining 65 roles being filled in 2019. The company opened an office in Galway two years ago. It provides sales and services support throughout Europe, the Middle East and Asia, with staff operat...
A woman was allegedly sexually assaulted by a taxi driver in North Dublin on Saturday night. The woman, believed to be in her 30s, had been picked up by a registered taxi from the Main Street in Malahide after socialising in the area and was heading in the Swords direction. It is believed after the taxi driver dropped off the other people in the car, the alleged victim was left alone with the driver for a stretch of road. The taxi driver then allegedly sex...
A man was yesterday convicted of assaulting and injuring his neighbour by “continuously punching and head-butting him”. Peter Lambe, 50, was found guilty of assaulting 62-year-old Gerard Furlong after he pinned the grandad to the ground and left him bloodied and bruised. The victim, who said he is still in constant fear, suffered serious facial injuries during the frenzied attack on March 4, 2016, which came after ongoing disputes. Mr Furlong described how...
The long-suffering father of Trevor Deely has told how he refuses to abandon his dream that his missing son will one day walk back through the front door of his family home. Heartbroken parents Michael and Ann Deely have endured yet another agonising year in which not one single lead has emerged into their youngest son’s baffling disappearance. But speaking on the eve of the 18th anniversary of the last sighting of the then-22-year-old, resolute Michael sa...