One-year extension for mother and baby home probe

The Government has agreed to a request from the Commission of Investigation into Mother and Baby Homes for an extension of one year to allow it to complete its fact gathering process.

Meanwhile, the Commission has said it appears it will be difficult to establish the facts about the burials of babies who died in a number of the eighteen institutions under investigation - writes

The Commission makes its comment in its four-page Third Interim Report to the Government, which has just been published.

The probe was set in motion in February 2015 and it was due to report two strands by August 2016, while the major section was due to be published next February.

Today's excision means that, after granting earlier extensions for the first two modules until next February, the Government has now agreed that the Commission will report on all three strands of its work by 17 February 2019.

The Commisison states that while there are detailed death records available, there are significant gaps in the information available about the burials of babies who died in a number of the institutions under investigation.

The Commission said it "is continuing to make inquiries about burials and burial records, but it appears that this is an area in which it will be difficult to establish the facts."

Announcing thedecision to extend the deadline, Ms Zappone said:

"I want to thank the Commission for this update on its important work. When I recently met with the Commission I was again reassured by their absolute commitment to establish the full facts of what happened to women and children in these institutions. It is important that we do not underestimate the complexity of this task and we must not compromise the process of establishing the truth by leaving any stone uncovered or taking any shortcuts. I do understand that this extension of time delays the day which many former residents have been eagerly anticipating. I know many will be disappointed and frustrated by this development."

The Minister added: "I have asked the Commission to make every effort to deliver their reports as soon as practicable, and in advance of February 2019 if possible."

She added that the Government will make all the required resources available to the Commission for the duration of its investigations.

A group representing survivors of a number of homes and other institutions has expressed their outrage at the delay.

The Coalition of Mother and Baby Home Survivors said that the survivor community is elderly, pointing out hat many survivors have died since the Tuam story broke in May 2014.

Paul Redmond, CMABS Chairperson, said:"This is yet another delaying tactic by the Government to deny survivors truth and justice. The current inquiry is already too limited and excludes many survivors and this delay will now ensure that thousands more survivors are denied justice by death."

Read more news of Dublin on our site.
extension motherandbabyhomeprobe
If you notice an error, highlight the text you want and press Ctrl + Enter to report it to the editor
2 views in december
I recommend
No recommendations yet


Post your comment to communicate and discuss this article.

Two people have been arrested following a stabbing incident in Dublin city centre. The incident happened on Essex Quay at around 4.40pm. A man aged in his late 20s was treated at the scene and taken to St James's Hospital with non-life threatening injuries following the incident. A man and woman, both aged in their 20s, were arrested at the scene and are being detained at Pearse Street Garda Station. Gardaí sealed off part of the south quays for several ho...
A kitchen went up in flames yesterday after some Christmas decorations were left on top of a microvwave. The Dublin Fire Brigade had to be called to quell the flames after tinsel caught fire having been left over a mircowave. Firefighters have warned others to be more careful with their decorating saying the tinsel was placed over the microwave's vent causing it to go up once the machine was turned on. They said: "Yesterday, Firefighters attended a kitchen...
A Dublin mother is extremely concerned for the welfare of her 15-year-old son after he never came home from the shop yesterday. Aleksejs Snitko went to the Tesco shop in Balbriggan yesterday, Saturday December 9 at around 4.30pm. His mother Iveta told Dublin Live that when her son left the home, he was wearing light grey basketball shoes, tight sport trousers and a warm navy jacket with a hoodie. He was also carrying a black and blue Puma school bag. The t...
A man and woman were arrested following a stabbing incident that left Dublin city centre on lockdown on Sunday evening. The pair were taken to Pearse st station after another man in his early 20s was hospitalised with 'non-fatal injuries'. It is believed a fight spilled out onto the road with one witness telling Dublin Live that she thought the man was going to be "throw him into the river". She said: "They stopped the traffic while they were fighting that...
The final report into the marine tragedy in which Doolin-based volunteer coastguard crew member Caitríona Lucas died in 2016 is critical of safety aspects of the operation. It concluded that the Delta Rigid Inflatable Boat that capsized was launched in conditions that were outside the operational limits of the vessel and that there were deficiencies with its communications and navigational equipment. Ms Lucas, a 41-year-old mother-of-two living in Liscanno...
A software development company is to create 85 jobs in Galway over the next 12 months. MathWorks says the expansion will lead to the recruitment of candidates with sales, service, marketing or administrative skills. It hopes to hire 20 people immediately with the remaining 65 roles being filled in 2019. The company opened an office in Galway two years ago. It provides sales and services support throughout Europe, the Middle East and Asia, with staff operat...
A woman was allegedly sexually assaulted by a taxi driver in North Dublin on Saturday night. The woman, believed to be in her 30s, had been picked up by a registered taxi from the Main Street in Malahide after socialising in the area and was heading in the Swords direction. It is believed after the taxi driver dropped off the other people in the car, the alleged victim was left alone with the driver for a stretch of road. The taxi driver then allegedly sex...
A man was yesterday convicted of assaulting and injuring his neighbour by “continuously punching and head-butting him”. Peter Lambe, 50, was found guilty of assaulting 62-year-old Gerard Furlong after he pinned the grandad to the ground and left him bloodied and bruised. The victim, who said he is still in constant fear, suffered serious facial injuries during the frenzied attack on March 4, 2016, which came after ongoing disputes. Mr Furlong described how...
The long-suffering father of Trevor Deely has told how he refuses to abandon his dream that his missing son will one day walk back through the front door of his family home. Heartbroken parents Michael and Ann Deely have endured yet another agonising year in which not one single lead has emerged into their youngest son’s baffling disappearance. But speaking on the eve of the 18th anniversary of the last sighting of the then-22-year-old, resolute Michael sa...