Couple battling to keep home discovered they're victims of tracker mortgage scandal 'by accident'

A CLARE COUPLE with five children who were in court battling to keep their home say they discovered they’re victims of the tracker mortgage scandalby accident.

The married couple, who are paying €1,080 a month in mortgage repayments,owe €320,000 to Bank of Ireland, including €56,000 in arrears on their mortgage - writes thejournal.ie.

They made their first appearance at the County Registrar’s Court in Ennis yesterday over the bank seeking to re-possess their family home.

The woman told County Registrar, Patrick Wallace,that during the course of a phone call to the Bank of Ireland last Friday, she was told “we have been impacted by the tracker situation, that we are part of that”.

In reply, Wallace said “if you are part of that, it would be great. That is not a matter for me. That is a matter for another forum”.

Outside court, the woman said that she only found out “by accident” that they are impacted by the tracker scandal.She said:

I phoned the bank on Friday to get up to date details for court today and the person told me that we were impacted by the tracker situation.

Her husband said: “It was like winning the Lotto hearing that.”

Up until now, the monthly mortgage repayments have left the couple and their five children “with very little” after the €1,080 is paid over.

He said: “We are paying the bank more than we can afford to pay, at times we have no money. I don’t know why we are paying that amount – every time we are under pressure. It is a case of waiting for the pay cheque to come in and pay for food and the bank.”

The woman works while her husband is the ‘home maker’ in the family after his own business collapsed eight years ago that resulted in the couple falling behind in their mortgage payments.

‘It was a nightmare’

At one stage, the couple had to get help from the St Vincent de Paul as they didn’t have enough money to pay for food after paying their mortgage.He said:

In the business I had I used to supply St Vincent de Paul to give things out at Christmas so having to go to them was embarrassing. Don’t talk to me about it. It was a nightmare.

“In the money we have repaid to the bank, we have repaid the value of the home but I know that isn’t how it works.”

The man’s wife said last year as part of an insolvency proposal, the Bank of Ireland suggested that their two eldest children not go to third level after completing their Leaving Cert but get jobs instead to help pay down the mortgage.

The couple rejected this. The mother said: “It was ridiculous. It is unbelievable. It didn’t make sense. Our life is all about educating all our children and getting them a good education. The two did very well in their Leaving and are in university. They have a very good work ethic and work weekends to support themselves.”

The man said that the Bank of Ireland also suggested that his wife retire early and the lump sum pension payment would cover the arrears as part of an insolvency arrangement.

He said: “The bank wasn’t thinking straight. How would we paid for food or the mortgage if my wife was retired from work?”

The man, who at one stage went on medication to deal with the stress, said: “The pressure we have been under is phenomenal.”

He said that one letter received from the Bank of Ireland some time back wanted them out of the house within 10 days. The man said: “Jesus, we nearly had a heart attack. You get immune to those type of letters after a while but at the start…”

Wallace today adjourned the repossession proceedings for six months to allow both sides provide details concerning the case and the man said: “This gives us breathing space.”

The man said that they are “hopeful” over being impacted by the tracker scandal.

He said: “You can’t quantity the heartache and stress that has been caused over this.”

Read also other news of Dublin on our site.

thejournal.ie
victims mortgagescandal
If you notice an error, highlight the text you want and press Ctrl + Enter to report it to the editor
1 view in september
I recommend
No recommendations yet

Comments

Comments are designed to communicate and discuss the features of an enterprise or event, as well as to find out the interesting questions on it.

Society
ESB Networks says 39,000 homes, farms and businesses are still without power this morning after StormAli crossed the country yesterday. Repair crews workedthrough the night, but 1,600 individual faults remain on the network. It says it hopes to restore power to everyone affected today. ESB Networks Operations Manager Derek Hynes said most repairs are in the Cavan/Longford, Monaghan and Mayo areas. He saidcrews need to get to 1,600 locations today andwarned...
Society
Minister for Children and Youth Affairs Katherine Zappone has said she hopes to bring a memo to Government "in the coming weeks"regarding the next steps to be taken at the site of the former Mother-and-Baby-Home in Tuam, CoGalway. Following a public consultation process earlier this year, a total of five different options are under consideration. These range from a full excavation of the burial ground, where "significant quantities of human remains"have be...
Society
The National Ploughing Championships resumed this morning in Tullamore after being closed to the public yesterday over damage caused by Storm Ali. Work wasongoing throughthe night to repair the damage to tents, exhibitions and other infrastructure on the site. The event openedto the public at9am. It will also be opened for an extra day tomorrow. Storm Ali brought gusts of almost 100km/h to the site of the National Ploughing Championships at Screggan outsid...
Society
The Department of Justice has confirmed to RTÉ's Morning Ireland that an estimated 20 people have been refused accommodation in Direct Provision centres over the past two weeks because they are at capacity. A number of asylum seekers have been left homeless as a result and at least one has been forced to sleep on the streets. The Department of Justice saidthe number of people arriving in Ireland applying for international protection has increased over the...
Society
Storm Ali has left many in north Dublin without water after taking out the ESB mains that pumps were running off. Five areas in North Dublin are without water today - although some of those outages were planned for maintenance work. Sutton, Castleknock, Balbriggan, and Garristown have all been affected. You can see the areas below. Water outage in Balbriggan, Wednesday 19th September 2018 due to ESB power outage to pumps at Balrothery - Water off until 6pm...
Society
Charlie Flanagan has vowed to probe how security firms carry out High Court Orders after the eviction of housing protesters. The Justice Minister also insisted balaclava-clad gardai policing last week’s incident in north inner city Dublin were only doing their jobs – and subjected to horrible abuse - writes dublinlive.ie. Mr Flanagan was speaking yesterday after criticism of officers wearing ski masks as they assisted a security firm removing protesters. H...
Society
The mystery of how many people attended the Papal Mass in Dublin’s Phoenix Park has finally been solved. The Office of Public Works revealed yesterday it was almost certainly just under 152,000 – more than 300,000 less than the 485,000 expected. The OPW had counting systems in place for health and safety reasons on day two of the visit last month. The OPW said its best estimate of how many came in this way was “in the order of 20,000”. After the visit on A...
Society
The Luas green line remains partially closed this morning after cable damage from Storm Ali. The ferocious storm caused serious disruption to travel across Dublin and is continuing to do so into Thursday morning. At the moment the green line Luas is operating from Brides Glen to Cowper and Dawson to Broombridge. However there is no service between Cowper and Dawson. Tickets are valid on Dublin Bus and services on the green line and reduced this morning. Co...
Society
Two children from the same family with the same diagnosis have had a very different experience of disability services, writes RTÉ’s Joan O’Sullivan. The Dollard family from Portlaoise in Co Laois, are veterans of children's disability services. Their son Ross, now 17, was diagnosed with epilepsy when he was three years oldand autism when he was four. His parents, Martin and Sarah-Jayne, say he received excellent early intervention services that had an imme...