From no deal to deal: A dramatic week in Brexit talks

After months of talks and a major last-minute hitch, the European Commission has finally announced that "sufficient progress" has been made in the first phase of Brexit negotiations and work can now begin on the all-important future trade deal.

Phase 1 of the negotiations dealt with three priority issues: The border, citizens' rights and the financial settlement.

Here is how we got to today's announcement:

1 December

European Council President Donald Tusk warns British Prime Minister Theresa May she must satisfy Irish demands that there will be no "hard border" on the island of Ireland if negotiations are to move forward and on to trading arrangements.

3 December

Speculation that a deal is imminent mounts as Mrs May prepares to meet key EU figures Jean-Claude Juncker and Mr Tusk for crunch talks in Brussels.

3 December

Speculation that a deal is imminent mounts as Mrs May prepares to meet key EU figures Jean-Claude Juncker and Mr Tusk for crunch talks in Brussels.

4 December

Mr Juncker speaks on the phone to Taoiseach Leo Varadkar minutes before meeting Mrs May, amid reports of a major compromise to ensure there is no hard border.

Mr Tusk fuels hopes of a deal when he says the two sides are "getting closer" after talks with Mr Varadkar.

Those hopes are dashed when the Democratic Unionist Party refuses to accept proposals which would have aligned regulations north and south, and shifted Northern Ireland's customs border to the Irish Sea.

Mrs May and Mr Juncker end their meeting by confirming no deal has been done but insisting sufficient progress would be made in time for the 14 December summit of the European Council.

Mr Varadkar says he is "surprised and disappointed" no deal has been secured yet.

5 December

The British Prime Minister hits the phones as pressure mounts on her to break the logjam. But in a possible sign of how intractable the issue has become she does not speak to DUP leader Arlene Foster.

The Taoiseach tells the Dáil that "the ball is in" Mrs May's court in terms of resolving the border issue.

6 December

Mrs May holds telephone talks with Mrs Foster.

At Prime Minister's Questions, she pledges to protect the "constitutional integrity" of the UK.

With the clock ticking, the Taoiseach warns that Mrs May could have to wait until the New Year for a green light to start talks on future trade arrangements unless sufficient progress is made.

In a phone call, Mrs May tells Mr Varadkar she is "working hard to find a specific solution to the unique circumstances in Northern Ireland" and is committed to "moving together to achieve a positive result on this".

7 December

Frantic behind-the-scenes talks continue throughout the day.

First signs of a breakthrough come at about 5pm with the announcement that Mr Tusk will make a statement on Brexit early on Friday morning.

But a UK government source seeks to play down expectations, declaring: "We're not there yet."

Mr Juncker calls Mr Varadkar and then Mrs May as his spokesman says an early morning meeting with the British Prime Minister is "possible".

8 December

Talks continue throughout the night.

At 5am, Downing Street confirms that the British Prime Minister and David Davis are travelling to Brussels to meet Mr Juncker and EU chief Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier.

Mrs May arrives in Brussels shortly before 6am and talks with Mr Juncker begin immediately.

Within minutes, Mr Juncker's head of cabinet Martin Selmayr signals that a deal has been done as he tweets a photograph of white smoke gushing from the chimney of the Sistine Chapel - the traditional way of alerting the world that a new Pope has been chosen.

Confirmation comes at 6.40am in a European Commission press release announcing that "sufficient progress" has been made in the first phase of Brexit talks.

Minutes later Mr Juncker and Mrs May appear together at a press conference to herald the deal.

Confirmation comes at 6.40am in a European Commission press release announcing that "sufficient progress" has been made in the first phase of Brexit talks.

Minutes later Mr Juncker and Mrs May appear together at a press conference to herald the deal.

Just after 8am, the Taoiseachholds a press conference in Dublin and declares the Brexit deal has "achieved all we set out to achieve".

Mr Varadkar says today is "a very significant day" -the parameters have been agreed "and they are good".

He said following long and intense negotiations they had reached a satisfactory conclusionto phase one of talks. He added: "This is not the end, it is the end of the beginning."

Read more news of Dublin on our site.
Brexittalks dramaticweek Dublin
If you notice an error, highlight the text you want and press Ctrl + Enter to report it to the editor
1 view in december
I recommend
No recommendations yet


Post your comment to communicate and discuss this article.

Anotorious Estonian hitman who travelled to Ireland to carry out a murder for the Kinahan Gang has been caged for six years. Imre Arakas, who was under garda surveillance, flew into Ireland on a murder mission to take out James “Mago” Gately. The Special Criminal Court was told that Arakas bought a wig in Dublin city and used an encrypted Blackberry phone to receive information about the movements and location of Mr Gately in Northern Ireland. The 60-year-...
Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has said he was "very satisfied" with the EU's position on the Irish backstop at last night's summit meeting. He said the European Union stands by the Withdrawal Agreement that was negotiated. EU leaders rejected British Prime Minister Theresa May's call for legally binding assurances on the Irish backstop and ruled out any changes to the Withdrawal Agreement. Speaking to reporters on day two of the summit in Brussels, Mr Varadkar sa...
Gardai are appealing for witnesses after a woman was allegedly sexually assaulted in a car in Dublin. The incident happened around Ballsbridge in the early hours of Sunday morning with investigators on the hunt for a man in his '20s or 30s' with short dark hair, a short beard, and glasses. A source told Dublin Live that one theory being explored is that the victim may have been in a taxi at the time. The source explained: "This woman was enjoying a night o...
Gardai have been gathering CCTV evidence at a hotel where an alleged rape involving a well-known sports star took place. Forensic experts and detectives visited the property in South Co Dublin on Tuesday night to hunt for clues. Initially it was believed the incident took place at a south inner-city hotel but after further inquiries it was determined it happened closer to the Dundrum area. A source said: “Detectives and scenes of crime gardai arrived at th...
The plans for the SDCC and Cluid housing social apartments were approved at Monday's full meeting of the council. On Monday, 81 social housing apartments for the elderly on a site beside Tallaght Stadium were approved by South Dublin County Council (SDCC) - writes This was despite a campaign calling on the council to save the land which houses a council depot at Watergate Sean Walsh Park. Local groups such as Tallaght Community Council and Ta...
Two people have been arrested following a stabbing incident in Dublin city centre. The incident happened on Essex Quay at around 4.40pm. A man aged in his late 20s was treated at the scene and taken to St James's Hospital with non-life threatening injuries following the incident. A man and woman, both aged in their 20s, were arrested at the scene and are being detained at Pearse Street Garda Station. Gardaí sealed off part of the south quays for several ho...
A kitchen went up in flames yesterday after some Christmas decorations were left on top of a microvwave. The Dublin Fire Brigade had to be called to quell the flames after tinsel caught fire having been left over a mircowave. Firefighters have warned others to be more careful with their decorating saying the tinsel was placed over the microwave's vent causing it to go up once the machine was turned on. They said: "Yesterday, Firefighters attended a kitchen...
A Dublin mother is extremely concerned for the welfare of her 15-year-old son after he never came home from the shop yesterday. Aleksejs Snitko went to the Tesco shop in Balbriggan yesterday, Saturday December 9 at around 4.30pm. His mother Iveta told Dublin Live that when her son left the home, he was wearing light grey basketball shoes, tight sport trousers and a warm navy jacket with a hoodie. He was also carrying a black and blue Puma school bag. The t...
A man and woman were arrested following a stabbing incident that left Dublin city centre on lockdown on Sunday evening. The pair were taken to Pearse st station after another man in his early 20s was hospitalised with 'non-fatal injuries'. It is believed a fight spilled out onto the road with one witness telling Dublin Live that she thought the man was going to be "throw him into the river". She said: "They stopped the traffic while they were fighting that...