Two Dublin city councils miss deadline for plan on vacant houses

Delays justifiable as plans need to accurately reflect situation on ground, says department.

Two Dublin city councils have missed a Government deadline for submitting an action plan on vacant houses.

Dublin City Council and Fingal County Council were among eight city councils who were told by Minister for Housing Eoghan Murphy to submit action plans for vacant homes in their area by the end of October - writes irishtimes.com.

The Department of Housing confirmed on Monday that both had missed the deadline.

The action plans require local authorities to identify the number of vacant homes in their locality and to set out a comprehensive and achievable plan on how those properties can be returned to housing.

Six other authorities – South Dublin, Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown, Cork, Galway, Limerick and Waterford – met the deadline.

In response to queries fromThe Irish Times, the department said the delay was justifiable because the plans needed to reflect the situation on the ground accurately.

“Given the importance in identifying the level of realisable, liveable vacant homes, it is important to determine a robust methodology to measure vacancy,” said a spokesman.

He said the Dublin City and Fingal plans were subject to ongoing discussions to agree a methodology to assess vacancy.

“Both those local authorities have been particularly active in undertaking work on vacancy to date and are feeding that into the overall development of the strategy.”

Refurbishment

The action plans for all other councils in the State must be submitted by the end of this month.

The department also said the information received to date indicates the level of vacancies “is significantly less than that set out in census 2016”.

The census identified 180,000 vacant homes but the Minister has consistently said the number of vacant units could be as low as 20,000 throughout the State.

The department said on Monday a large number of the units contained in the census data have since been “re-introduced into the viable housing stock”.

It attributes this change of status to houses that may have been on sale at the time, or which were subject to refurbishment or probate.

The vacanthomes.ie website, run by Mayo County Council, on Monday said that 1,500 vacant homes have been registered on its website by members of the public in the past three months.

A number of local authorities, included Fingal, Louth and Cork have already identified properties from the website which have potential to be reverted back to usable homes. Tom Gilligan, director of services with Mayo County Council, said more than 15,000 people had contacted the website with queries.

Almost six in 10 of properties registered were in Leinster, where demand is highest.

Vacant housing is one of the linchpins of the Government’s Rebuilding Ireland strategy. The Government intends to convert 3,500 vacant units back to residential use by 2020 using compulsory purchase orders and schemes such as the Repair and Lease scheme. However, initial take-up for those schemes has been low.

Read more news of Dublin on our site.

Dublincitycouncils vacanthouses
If you notice an error, highlight the text you want and press Ctrl + Enter to report it to the editor
2 views in september
I recommend
No recommendations yet

Comments

Comments are designed to communicate and discuss the features of an enterprise or event, as well as to find out the interesting questions on it.

Society
Minister for Children and Youth Affairs Katherine Zappone has said she hopes to bring a memo to Government "in the coming weeks"regarding the next steps to be taken at the site of the former Mother-and-Baby-Home in Tuam, CoGalway. Following a public consultation process earlier this year, a total of five different options are under consideration. These range from a full excavation of the burial ground, where "significant quantities of human remains"have be...
Society
The National Ploughing Championships resumed this morning in Tullamore after being closed to the public yesterday over damage caused by Storm Ali. Work wasongoing throughthe night to repair the damage to tents, exhibitions and other infrastructure on the site. The event openedto the public at9am. It will also be opened for an extra day tomorrow. Storm Ali brought gusts of almost 100km/h to the site of the National Ploughing Championships at Screggan outsid...
Society
The Department of Justice has confirmed to RTÉ's Morning Ireland that an estimated 20 people have been refused accommodation in Direct Provision centres over the past two weeks because they are at capacity. A number of asylum seekers have been left homeless as a result and at least one has been forced to sleep on the streets. The Department of Justice saidthe number of people arriving in Ireland applying for international protection has increased over the...
Society
Storm Ali has left many in north Dublin without water after taking out the ESB mains that pumps were running off. Five areas in North Dublin are without water today - although some of those outages were planned for maintenance work. Sutton, Castleknock, Balbriggan, and Garristown have all been affected. You can see the areas below. Water outage in Balbriggan, Wednesday 19th September 2018 due to ESB power outage to pumps at Balrothery - Water off until 6pm...
Society
Charlie Flanagan has vowed to probe how security firms carry out High Court Orders after the eviction of housing protesters. The Justice Minister also insisted balaclava-clad gardai policing last week’s incident in north inner city Dublin were only doing their jobs – and subjected to horrible abuse - writes dublinlive.ie. Mr Flanagan was speaking yesterday after criticism of officers wearing ski masks as they assisted a security firm removing protesters. H...
Society
The mystery of how many people attended the Papal Mass in Dublin’s Phoenix Park has finally been solved. The Office of Public Works revealed yesterday it was almost certainly just under 152,000 – more than 300,000 less than the 485,000 expected. The OPW had counting systems in place for health and safety reasons on day two of the visit last month. The OPW said its best estimate of how many came in this way was “in the order of 20,000”. After the visit on A...
Society
The Luas green line remains partially closed this morning after cable damage from Storm Ali. The ferocious storm caused serious disruption to travel across Dublin and is continuing to do so into Thursday morning. At the moment the green line Luas is operating from Brides Glen to Cowper and Dawson to Broombridge. However there is no service between Cowper and Dawson. Tickets are valid on Dublin Bus and services on the green line and reduced this morning. Co...
Society
Two children from the same family with the same diagnosis have had a very different experience of disability services, writes RTÉ’s Joan O’Sullivan. The Dollard family from Portlaoise in Co Laois, are veterans of children's disability services. Their son Ross, now 17, was diagnosed with epilepsy when he was three years oldand autism when he was four. His parents, Martin and Sarah-Jayne, say he received excellent early intervention services that had an imme...
Society
Opposition TDs have criticised the Government in the Dáil following last month's news of the proposed closures of post offices around the country. The proposal follows a deal between An Post and the Irish Postmasters’ Union , which sees 159 postmasters and postmistresses set to retire and their offices will close. An Post have said that all of the post offices scheduled to close are within a 15km radius of another post office. SinnFéin has tabled a motion...