This is a former prison in Dublin, which is currently a museum. In the XVIII - early XX centuries it was used by the British authorities to keep prisoners, including many fighters for the independence of Ireland, and also as a place of executions.
The Kilmainham prison was built in 1796, and was originally unofficially called the "New prison", to distinguish it from the old Dublin prison, located several hundred meters away from it. Officially, it was called the "Dublin County Prison," and was administered by the Grand Jury of the county of Dublin.
Initially, places for executions were located in front of this gloomy building. After the 1820s, executions in Kilmainham prison were rare. In 1891, a special cellr was created for executions on the first floor, between the West and East Wing.
The prison kept adults and children from the age of 7
Long time ago, at the beginning of the existence of this prison, men, women and children were kept in common cells.
Cells with an area of approximately 28 square meters were designed for 5 people.
In a damp and dark cell, one candle was given for two weeks, which burned down much earlier, and the prisoners remained in darkness and cold for the rest of the time. Imagine how it was there in winter. The windows were without glasses.
In prison, there were adults and children from the age of 7, and getting here was a trivial matter. Broke a glass in the pub - in prison! Stole the beetroot from the field - in prison! And the hungry people had little choice. Some also stole something exactly to get into jail. At least, they were given some food there.
Some of the prisoners were transported to Kilmainham from Australia. Female prisoners were kept in worse conditions than men. One prison inspector in 1809 noted that male prisoners were supplied with iron beds, while women slept on straw in cells and common rooms. Half a century later, there was some improvement in conditions, but the women's cells in the West Wing of the prison remained overcrowded.