Delightful and one of the best attractions of Ireland is Dublin Castle. Its story, like many Irish stories, is connected with the English and Vikings. It is located south from the Liffey River and was erected on the site of an ancient Viking fortress, becoming subsequently the residence of British kings in Ireland.
The immortal grandeur of Dublin Castle
The castle, in terms of defense, was built with all the requirements and features: watchtowers, thick and strong walls, as well as a deep ditch with water. However, for a long time it was never subjected to assaults and sieges. The only enemy that caused the castle a visible loss was the inexorable time and the fierce fire that happened in the late XVII century.
Pristine were only the Roster Castle Tower, and all the rest was repeatedly restored and rebuilt, so today the Dublin Castle is an architectural creation of the XVIII century. The capital reconstruction of the building during this period brought with it very serious remodeling, the bulk of the fortifications were dismantled and the defensive moat was filled in.
For many Irish people, the castle was associated with English colonizers, whose dominance lasted almost 1000 years. Until 1922, the British government occupied this magnificent monument of architecture and the heritage of Ireland.
For centuries, the immortal grandeur
Nowadays, Dublin Castle is of national importance, it is here that all the most important ceremonies are held at the highest level. St. Patrick's Hall, located in the building is the venue for the inauguration of the presidents of Ireland, as well as knighting. Important meetings and negotiations are held here as well.
Despite all the importance, Dublin Castle is always open for tourists and guests. To date, the magnificent landmark of Dublin has been completely restored. And there really is something to see - a round Dining Room, the Birmingham Tower and the Throne Room.
In the courtyard there is the Royal Chapel - the old Church of the Holy Trinity, which lovers of Gothic will like. Built in 1814 by Francis Johnston, it is decorated with fine carved panels of oak and stained glass. Its crypt is used as an art center. In addition, there is a museum of Chester Beatty, considered one of the best metropolitan museums in Ireland.