Brazilian-born worker wins €5k for sick note discrimination by pub

A popular Temple Bar pub has been ordered to pay €5,000 to a Brazilian-born 'sandwich board man' for racially discriminating against him.

Felix Guerrero alleged at the Labour Court that after he handed in a medical certificate from Mater Hospital ED registrar Dr Andrew Ngaditiono, his boss at the Merchants Arch refused to let him return to work "until he got a cert from a proper doctor stating that he was fit to return to work".

This was disputed by the Merchants Arch Restaurants Company.

However, the court found the firm racially discriminated against Mr Guerrero in refusing to accept his certificate that he was fit to return to work.

Odious

Awarding him €5,000, the court stated: "Discrimination on the grounds of race is a very serious infringement of the law and cannot be treated lightly.

"Treatment at work cannot vary with the nationality of the person involved.

"Such discriminatory treatment is odious, unacceptable and cannot be tolerated."

Represented by lawyer Richard Grogan in the case, Mr Guerrero made a number of claims under workplace legislation against the Merchants Arch, which is located opposite the Ha'Penny Bridge, and has been awarded €10,650 in total.

His main duty was holding an advertising sign on the street inviting passers-by into the bar.

On April 13, 2016, Mr Guerrero collapsed at his home and was brought to the ED at Mater Misericordiae Hospital.

On April 20, he presented a medical certificate from Dr Ngaditiono, a senior registrar doctor in emergency medicine at the Mater, to his boss.

However, according to Mr Guerrero's evidence, his boss "refused to allow him to return to work until he got a certificate from a proper doctor".

Mr Guerrero returned to the Mater seeking a different certificate but said the hospital told him it had already provided him with one and could do no more.

The boss denied telling Mr Guerrero to get a note "from a proper doctor" and denied receiving the medical certificate dated April 19.

He told the court that had he received the cert, he would have returned Mr Guerrero to work but could not say why he did not keep a copy of the April 19 certificate and admitted that he would normally file such notes.

Mr Guerrero did not return to his Merchants Arch job and has since got other work.

The court ruled that the evidence put forward by the employer "lacks credibility and is not consistent with the documents adduced in evidence".

Compelling

It added that it found Mr Guerrero's evidence more compelling than the employer's and that Mr Guerrero's evidence was consistent with the text messages on which both sides relied.

The court also stated that the employer's case "stretches credibility".

Mr Guerrero said that he was treated in this way because he was a foreign national and that an Irish person would not have been treated in such a manner.

After the ruling yesterday, Mr Grogan said: "Racial discrimination undermines the dignity of workers.

"It has no place in a modern progressive country. Racial discrimination sends out the wrong message.

"The message from this case is clear. Discrimination has no place in any modern workplace.

"This case, however, exhibits a worrying attitude of this employer, and unfortunately they are not alone."

A spokesman for the Merchants Arch said yesterday that the business would not be making a comment on the Labour Court ruling at this time.

Read more news of Dublin on our site.

herald.ie
Brazilian-bornworker sicknotediscrimination
If you notice an error, highlight the text you want and press Ctrl + Enter to report it to the editor
3 views in october
I recommend
No recommendations yet

Comments

Post your comment to communicate and discuss this article.

Society
Two men and two women have been charged with impeding the investigation into the murder of Patricia O’Connor, whose dismembered remains were found in the Dublin-Wicklow Mountains last year. Augustine O'Connor, 74, of Mill Close, Clasheen, Stamullen, Co Meath, his daughter Louise O'Connor, 40, of Lower Gardiner Street, Dublin 1, her ex-partner Keith Johnson, 41, of Avonbeg Gardens, Tallaght and Ms O'Connor's daughter, Stephanie, 20, of Lower Gardiner Street...
Society
A 21-year-old Italian man has been found not guilty of causing grievous bodily harm to an Irishman outside Anfield in Liverpool earlier this year. Filippo Lombardi from Rome had pleaded not guilty to the attack on 53-year-old Sean Cox outside a Liverpool versus Roma Champions' League semi-final match on 24 April - writes rte.ie The prosecution case was that another man, referred to in court as N40, threw the punch that hit Mr Cox but Mr Lombardi swung a be...
Society
National Slow Down day, an operation aimed at getting motorists to watch their speed on roads, got under way this morning. The 24-hour operation came into force at 7am and will continue until 7am tomorrow. It consists of high visibility speed enforcement in over 1,000 enforcement zones, as well as the delivery of a road safety message through the use of national, local and social media. The objective of the operation is to reduce the number of speed-relate...
Society
Housing and homeless agency Novas, which works with vulnerable individuals and families in Limerick and the mid-west, has said it helped over 4,500 people last year. In its annual report released today, it warns of the worrying trend that those becoming homeless are getting younger. Novas works with homeless people, and those at risk of becoming homeless, in Limerick, Kerry and Tipperary. The escalation of the homelessness crisis, coupled with more people...
Society
Irish baby name trends have taken a such a drastic turn in the past century some are becoming extinct, research has revealed. While some new entries gained traction in recent years, there are still timeless favourites that soar high on the popularity scale. The Ancestry.ie survey identified Adam and Harry as the favourite names among boys, seeing a 1,396% and 979% percentage increase since 1917 respectively. They are followed by Luke, Aidan and Mark to for...
Incidents
One person was hospitalised after a crash between a horse and carriage and a car overnight. Two fire engines and an ambulance were called after the crash at 2:30am on the junction of Eccles Street and Dorset Street. The man at the helm of the cart was brought to hospital although his injuries were not believed to be serious. The horse bolted for about 100 metres after being startled by the crash but was uninjured. The carriage however received heavy damage...
Society
A grieving Dublin woman said she is still in shock that her elderly mother died from spilling a cup of tea. Daphne Anderson (91) - originally from Glasnevin - died from sepsis, which she contracted in hospital while being treated for scalding injuries. Daphne's daughter Audrey told The Herald that her mother had been fit and active prior to the injury. She said: "My mother was fit and in good health. I can't believe that spilling a cup of tea could have ki...
Society
Passengers were left frustrated at the weekend as Aer Lingus was forced to cancel two flights at late notice. People hoping to fly to JFK Airport in New York on Saturday afternoon were angered when the flight was cancelled. Aer Lingus flight EI109 was due to leave Dublin for JFK at 4:10pm but was cancelled just hours before. Many holiday-makers were sat in the airport at the time waiting for information when the news broke the flight would not be in operat...
Incidents
Vandals who set fire to two taxis over the past four days in Crumlin have been condemned as "scumbags". One cab was burnt out on Friday night, followed by another this morning. The Dublin Taxi Drivers Facebook page shared images of the destroyed vehicles this afternoon and urged people in the area to be aware of any suspicious behaviour. In the post, the group wrote: "Two taxis burnt down in Crumlin, Friday night and one this morning on Sundrive road! "Be...