Ploughing championships resume after Storm Ali closure

The National Ploughing Championships resumed this morning in Tullamore after being closed to the public yesterday over damage caused by Storm Ali.

Work wasongoing throughthe night to repair the damage to tents, exhibitions and other infrastructure on the site. The event openedto the public at9am.

It will also be opened for an extra day tomorrow.

Storm Ali brought gusts of almost 100km/h to the site of the National Ploughing Championships at Screggan outside Tullamore yesterday and wrecked more havoc on the three-day event than any other weather shock in its 87-yearhistory.

It was the first time that the ploughing had to be cancelled and the public turned away in the middle of its run.

There was a lot of frustration among exhibitors and the visiting public at the length of time it took for the organisers to make the final decision to call off proceedings when it became clear that the strength, length, and the damage caused by the storm had exceeded expectations.

Many tents suffered serious and irreparable damage. However, the vast majority suffered only minor damage and disruption, or no damage at all.

Exhibitors also workedthroughthe night with local services and teams from the National Ploughing Association to repair the damage and get the site ready for this morning.

All pre-sold tickets for yesterday at the Ploughing will be valid for entry both today and tomorrow.

Meanwhile, the Managing Director of the National Ploughing Association has defended the decision not to cancel yesterday's event before people made the trip to Offaly.

Speaking on RTÉ's Morning Ireland, Anna Maria McHugh said that intensive discussions continued throughout yesterday and it had been agreed with services and after discussions with Met Éireann that "we were within workable wind speeds".

She said the the issue was that the storm winds "were more prolonged and that wasn't expected".

Hundreds of the 1,700 exhibitors onsite suffered damage to their displays, she said.

Read more news of Dublin on our site.

rte.ie
Storm Ali closure
If you notice an error, highlight the text you want and press Ctrl + Enter to report it to the editor
1 view in november
I recommend
No recommendations yet

Comments

Post your comment to communicate and discuss this article.

Society
Inner City Helping Homeless are asking for the public's help in filling a Luas with gifts this Christmas. Fill A Luas asks the public to donate a shoebox of gifts to the homeless at Connolly Luas Stop on Thursday, December 6. This is the fourth year of the charity event. This year, Fill A Luas will be a week-long event to give people more time to donate a shoebox over the holidays with the aim of collecting more than the record of 20,000 shoeboxes. The pub...
Incidents
The sightings of UFOs over the coast by three sets of airline pilots has led to Ireland being seen as a hotbed of alien activity. It has emerged the crews who reported an unidentified object streaking through the skies over Co Kerry are not alone. Dublin Live has been inundated with reports of similar sightings around the country in recent weeks. The Irish Aviation Authority has begun an investigation into the appearance of the mysterious objects which wer...
Society
Ombudsman Peter Tyndall has expressed his disappointment that the Health Service Executive has not fully implemented the recommendations made in his 2015 investigation into the healthcare system. The Ombudsman's 2015 report, Learning to Get Better, found that many people were afraid to complain about the treatment they receive in hospitals and that many hospitals were not learning important lessons from complaints they receive.  The HSE and Department of H...
Society
A new programme aimed at helping immigrant teachers find work in Irish schools opens to applicants today. The course, at Dublin’s Marino Institute of Education, aims to provide immigrants who are qualified teachers, but not working as such, with the knowledge, skills, and confidence to enable them to find employment here. Recent research has found that while Ireland’s school student population is now highly diverse, teachers here continue to be overwhelmin...
Society
EU and UK negotiators have agreed a text that deals with the Irish border, RTÉ News understands. The text was agreed at around 9pm last night and then transmitted to Downing Street. While two well-placed sources have confirmed that the text was "as stable as it can be", they say it would not be correct to say that the negotiations have "concluded". According to both sources, there will be one backstop to avoid a hard border on the island of Ireland. The ba...
Politics
The Cabinet will meet this morning to consider developments around the draft text of a Brexit withdrawal agreement. Yesterday, Taoiseach Leo Varadkar put his colleagues on standby for this morning's meeting, which is due to be held at 9.30am. Mr Varadkar and the Tánaiste will update their Government colleagues on what has happened over the last 24 hours. It follows a meeting last night between Mr Varadkar, Tánaiste Simon Coveney, Minister for Finance Pasch...
Society
A number of events have taken place around the country and in Northern Ireland to mark the centenary of the ending of World War I. Locations where ceremonies have taken place include Belfast, Enniskillen, Cork, Limerick, Sligo, Kilkenny, Westmeath, Galway and Tipperary. In Cork city, Lord Mayor of Cork Cllr Mick Finn laid a wreath at the Cenotaph on the Grand Parade. He was joined by relatives of those who died in WWI and members of the Cork branch of the...
Society
The two men who were arrested in Athy, Co Kildare yesterday in the investigation into the murder of David Boland have been released without charge today. A file will be prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions as the investigation continues, said a garda spokesperson. David Boland, 34, was stabbed multiple times during an incident on Duke Street in Athy, in the early hours of Thursday 1 November. A total of four people have been arrested to date as...
Society
Dublin City Council is set to spend €1.6 million on the removal of discarded chewing gum in public areas. The local authority is seeking tenders for a contract to remove gum from footpaths and pedestrianised zones throughout litter blackspots in its administrative area over the next three years. It expects to spend €1.6 million plus VAT on these services, according to tender documents. The huge cost of removing chewing gum from public areas comes despite r...