An Irish toddler was covered in horrific sores and blisters after allegedly contracting hand, foot, and mouth disease at a holiday resort in Mallorca, Spain.
Dublin toddler covered in horrific blisters and sores after allegedly getting disease at Spanish holiday resort
Two-year-old Remy-Lee Corrigan was treated in Dublin’s Tallaght Hospital after her family had to cut short their holiday when she fell ill.
Around 50 people have caught the virus so far, most of them being children, at the Club Mac Hotel in Alcudia since September 11, the Irish Sun reports.
The Dublin toddler arrived at the hotel on September 25 with her mother, brother, and grandmother.
Remy-Lee’s father Gerard Moore later flew out to Spain to be with his daughter.
He said: “They borrowed a cot from the hotel for Remy-Lee and we think that’s how she got sick.”
The family noticed the sores when they went down at the beach.
Mr Moore said: “She was crying and in awful pain. I had to fly out to be with them.”
The infant was taken to Tallaght Hospital as soon as they got home on Wednesday.
Mr Moore also claimed that the outbreak had started two weeks before the family holiday and nobody told them about it.
Dr Sarah Jarvis, GP, said that it was “absolutely” possible that the disease had spread to other parts of the island.
Dr Jarvis said: “Kids can stay infectious for several weeks so if they’ve been to the beach they can spread it to other kids.
Club Mac confirmed that 48 people had been infected but said that the virus was under control.
They said: “Currently we have 2,230 people staying, of which 667 are children — and only five cases of children with hand, foot and mouth.
“Please note it is an airborne virus like the common cold and its spread has nothing to do with the cleanliness of the hotel.”
Read more news of Dublin on our site.